New Cannondale SuperSix Evo CX & SE bikes

Available in both CX and gravel configurations apparently…but same frame.

5 Likes

That Ai offset concept is something we covered in depth in our [SuperX SE review], but simply it aims to give more clearance between the chainrings and chainstay by moving the drivetrain outward by 6 mm. The rim then needs to be offset over the standard 142×12 mm hub to keep things centred. In theory, it’s not too different to Boost on mountain bikes, newer SRAM Wide, or Shimano GRX, but this method does mean you can’t simply switch disc brake road and gravel wheels between other bikes.

BOOOOOO.

Means a pretty big investment if you wanna run different wheels / tires…and since a lot of people want to use these bikes a “quiver killer”, this doesn’t seem great to me.

6 Likes

Not surprising, unfortunately. It’s one reason I just don’t like their approach. Different for a purpose, but not sure that difference leads to anything meaningful when everyone else seems to be running just fine without it.

If it was so great, we’d see more companies take a similar approach. As this remains a C’dale “feature” it means an extra step for anyone heading that way and wanting new wheels to replace or for quick swaps.

3 Likes

Cannondale now has 4 gravelish bikes. SuperX, Supersix evo, Supersix SE and Topstone. Seems like a bit much?

• Per the article, the SuperX is dead.

Today Cannondale has revealed two new performance-focused bikes that supersede its popular SuperX cyclocross and SuperX SE gravel offerings.

Much like the outgoing SuperX and SuperX SE, the new Supersix Evo CX and Evo SE share a matching full carbon frameset with the only differences found in the covering paint and components bolted onto them.

So only “3” bikes.

1 Like

SuperX is going away, as I read the article (ETA - as usual, Chad beat me to it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)…and I don’t know that the Supersix Evo is really a “gravel-ish” bike. yeah, it can accommodate larger tires than a normal road bike, but it is really their lightweight race bike.

1 Like

Looks like an awesome bike but the one reason I didn’t buy another cannondale was that rear end offset. It’s a pain or expensive just to try to get a spare set of wheels. I’ve always been a fan of cannondale and their “technology “ but i wont buy their bikes anymore.

2 Likes

I have a 2018 SuperX that I use for training and racing gravel and CX. The rear offset has not been much of an issue for me. I did purchase a second wheelset, and I can usually make quick work of swapping out tubeless tires.

The bigger issue for me has been that c’dale headset. Despite having to deal with it several times that thing can be so temperamental. It’s always a chore after I flip the stem, clean it out or replace bearings.

1 Like

Agreed.

I currently race a Specialized Crux with SCS rear wheels…no thanks.

1 Like

So they’re offset laced like a dirtbike rear wheel?

I mean you can with their road bikes…

You can still run a smaller tire setup on the bike, it’ll just be offset a bit. The bike won’t feel much different.

Bummer. I was hoping this wouldn’t still be the case with their bikes. Otherwise it looks like a fine frameset.

They effectively shift the whole axle to the right (drive side):

With the axle set off-center, it aims to get a more even bracing angle on the spokes, for a stronger and more balanced wheel build.

• Not sure about how moto wheels are set with respect to axle location relative to the bike center?

Regardless, it is unique to Cannondale and requires any “normal” wheel to be re-dished (6mm left) in order to run with this setup. So, despite being “easy”, it is a necessary step and one that many consider to be a hassle (me included).

2 Likes

Pretty much the same for me. Don’t mind the wheels and the offset - it seems a bit gimmicky but isn’t really a problem.

The headset however is just evil and a pain in the butt.