I started to train again about two years ago (Summer 2018).
- First 12 months: FTP went from 175 W to 275 W (tested using the 30-minute British Cycling protocol).
- Months 12 to 18: my FTP fluctuated around 275 W (BC protocol)
- Months 18 to 24 (last 6 months): my FTP has been dropping steadily…
Today - 227
Wednesday, Jun 3, 2020 - 250
Monday, Mar 16, 2020 - 256
Monday, Feb 24, 2020 - 262
Monday, Jan 13, 2020 - 281
I’d need help reviewing my training and deciding what I should focus on for the next 6 months to go back to 275-ish and hopefully improve.
Here is what I have done for the first 18 months and then for the past 6 months:
- First 18 months - Rinse/repeat the following template week for three weeks and recovery for one week:
Mon: VO2Max (e.g. 8x3 or 5x5 intervals)
Tue: Sweet Spot (e.g. 3-5x20)
Wed: Easy Spin (e.g. 30-45)
Thu: Threshold (e.g. 2x20) or Super Threshold (e.g. 3x10)
Fri: Sweet Spot (e.g. 3-5*20)
Sat: Long Slow Ride (e.g. 2 to 4 hours)
- Last 6 months - Two periodised cycles generated by the Plan Builder:
. Base - High Volume Sweet Spot
. Build - Sustained Power
. Specialty - Climbing Road Race
Besides training protocol, most everything stayed fairly the same: similar training hours, similar TSSs, similar indoor/outdoor ride ratio (5 indoors, 1 outdoors), similar diet, no weight gain/loss, same life/work balance. C-19 brought some disruption but my fitness started to drop before.
My rider profile would be puncheur or time trialist. I have a hard time with sprints and even higher range VO2Max; Sweet Spot and Threshold efforts are “easy”. (Not just cycling: running, swimming, rowing, etc).
I got some tips from the forum (FTP Regression: Any Idea on what I can do/change?) but I would appreciate any imputs that the Ask a Cycling Coaches might have:
- Is periodisation somehow wrong for me and do I need to keep some VO2Max workouts even during base?
- Is High Volume Sweet Spot base consisting of nearly all sweet spot workouts counterproductive for me since it’s already my strong suit? Should I switch to Medium Volume Sweet Spot as it offers more variety?
- Am I overtrained? Was my body able to take the first 18 months of training but reached the end of its rope in the following 6 months?
Thanks in advance for any input from the coaches and/or the forum!