Need Help - FTP Regression: what do I change?

I think it depends what you’re trying to estimate. If you’re trying to estimate what number you’re capable of holding for an hour, then the BC protocol is undoubtedly superior. If you’re trying to estimate a single number that can be used to set workout intensity for everything from recovery to sprints, I think the ramp test may be better in some ways. Since it incorporates a larger anaerobic component so likely gives a number that better reflects all round fitness. I would guess the majority of people couldn’t hold their ramp test number for an hour, but then the vast majority of TR workouts have intervals of 20 minutes or shorter, most of them much shorter. What matters is whether the number you have allows you to complete workouts with the right amount of training stress, not whether it’s a number you can hold for an hour (unless you’re a 40k TTer, in which case I would hope you’re not relying just on the ramp test for pacing).

Two things:

• The 246 FTP was generated by the TR quiz: experience, volume, and a couple more questions that I don’t remember.
    I changed it manually to 275 since this was my estimated FTP at the time so that the Ramp Test would calibrate properly.
    Then I tested at 281 on the Ramp Test.
    FTP History with Text Boxes First Test

• The OLH climb was all out and my estimated FTP at the time was 275 (not 246).

Correct. But I have the readings from the bike’s powermeter and they track well with the Kickr’s readings.
TrainerRoad is only connected to the Kickr and nearly all the indoor rides data that you see on my calendar are from the Kickr.

To be clear, I don’t care about the actual FTP number. I’d just like to see it trend upward. :slight_smile:

I agree with you that the Ramp Test might overestimate my real FTP.

It’s just that I did all those tests in the same conditions: TrainerRoad app, same bike, same trainer, same everything except temperature (I didn’t record it). So, if it overestimated in January, it’s still overestimating it this week. I am more concerned with the downward trend than the actual absolute number.

I did adjust the setting to 265 a few days after the test because the workouts were too hard (except for Sweet Spot and Threshold).

It’s possible that I went through a vicious circle:

1. Ramp Test FTP too high at first
  2. Fitness deteriorates during training cycle
  3. Ramp Test FTP lower (but still too high compared to actual FTP)
  4. Then repeat 2/3… burying myself.

It seems like the mid-volume plans offer more variety as well.
As suggested by @kitenski:

Forties. So age starts to be a factor. But I was only 6 months younger in January. :slight_smile:

You’re right though, the initial progression was just that and sustaining it might just be beyond my reach now.

I am definitely considering it. This is one of my questions for the podcast: should I pick a medium or even low volume plan moving forward.

Alright. I have taken off the last five weeks.

I am a little apprehensive and would appreciate some guidance picking my new program from the podcast team (Amber, Coach Chad (@chad ?), @Nate_Pearson, @Jonathan, @Pete) if you can spare the time or the coaching staff (@ ??).

Thanks a million in advance.