My power is almost always 1 number short of the target

The only thing wrong is that it can create a level of OCD in people. So when they get a PM and start seeing the real numbers they have anxiety around not staying perfectly on target. Even though they were never doing that in the first place.

1 Like

Yup, there are more than a handful of topics here that show people asking why their brand new power meter (or different smart trainer) are “broken” with all the jagged power lines/data. Tacx is also a bit guilty when it comes to overly smoothed power data, but nothing compares to the magic Wahoo employs with their ERG Mode Power Smoothing.

I HATE the setting and the fact that Wahoo makes it the default. This is one reason I have shared GPLama’s video on what it is and how to turn it off, more than a handful of times over the years. It’s just a bad setting with no real benefit. Turning it off and riding in ERG without “chasing power” gives the same functional results, but gives realistic looking power data… that teaches people what to actually expect if/when they get a real power meter.

1 Like

I guess that depends on the type of interval, see the screenshot in the workout the target here is 386W but in the analysis only 381 W

I may be wrong, but that seems like it is related to a bug that’s been mentioned several times over the years. Delta between power targets shown when viewed from one device a/o app vs another.

I contacted support about that a while ago, they said it was intentional

Interesting.

ETA:
That appears to be Boyd. and your cursor is showing around the end of a 1 minute interval. Funny to me that they would fudge the entire interval target as little as 1% for trainer lag.

• I guess it’s more the opposite, where the official target is still 145%, but they drop the target in the interval summary.

Perhaps they are trying to sidestep this entire type of question where people sweat single digit “misses”, which are essentially meaningless in the grand scheme of training. They do what they do, I guess… but that particular example seems unnecessary to me.