I am approaching the end of SSB2MV and I’m considering giving sustained pwr build high volume a shot. I was planning on mid volume but SSB2MV is going so well I’m wondering if I should take it up a notch. The build phase will led into my ‘A event’, a 100 mi MTB race w/ 12k feet of climbing. Some background for context:
- 40 yrs old
- Prior to the past 10 weeks, I’ve been riding for about 3 yrs, roughly 2/3 times a week, totaling 2K mi/year, w/ zero structured training. I’ve done two races, a road century and a 60 mi mtb race.
- I have a demanding career as a fighter pilot and leader, and I have a young family, so most of my training will be accomplished before 7:00 AM.
- SSB1MV started out rough, but 2 has gone really well. I’ve yet to miss workout and I haven’t had to decrease or backpedal during a single interval. I am absorbing the TSS well and I’m getting stronger week-by-week.
- Current FTP is 260 which puts me right at 4W/kg, my goal is 4.5W/kg by late Apr. Not sure if it’s feasible, but I still have some weight to lose (5 lbs) and I believe I have some upside on the FTP.
- I wrestled in college roughly 18 years ago, but I still know how to suffer through difficult training.
Should I stick with what’s working or take it up a notch? Do I risk burn-out or overtraining? I’d love to hear your thoughts on the matter.