Mavic front hub maintenance

Hi all,

Mechanic wannabe here!

I’m slowly buying tools and stepping up my maintenance skills servicing my bike.

I tried to service my Mavic Aksium Disc front hub and I can’t figure out to get access to the bearings. Looked at YouTube and other sites but no luck -All hubs are different from mine.

Any ideas how I can open the hub? There is two little grooves in one of the side but I don’t think it’s for the mavic tool. I can’t see a place to insert any hex or wrench. Couldn’t even remove the QR end adapters!

Cheerios for any help!

https://tech.mavic.com/tech-mavic/technical_manual/pdf/getProductSheet.php?macronu=29667&declinaison=FRONT&filialenu=2&co=US

Looks like you pop the QR end cap off, then that plastic cover on the RHS to reveal a circlip. Remove that and bang the axle out, I think it’ll bring the LHS bearing with it, then tap the RHS one out. Reverse to reassemble!

1 Like

Cheers @alexgold123.
I manage to remove the QR ends. But the plastic cap still a mystery to me. On the disc side I don’t have access to it as it sits inside the disc recess (probably comes out while banging on the shaft). The side I have access there is no space to insert anything and force it out and its hard plastic that doesn’t bend.

I’m probably being daft, Please un-daft me!

Can’t you just stick a small screwdriver in the slot and pop it out? I can’t really remember doing it, but fairly sure it doesn’t thread and just pops off

I managed to disassemble my front hub. First use a tiny screwdriver to pry up on the slots in the plastic cap on the non-disc side until you can get the screwdriver under the edges and pull the cap over the quick release end - no need to remove those, they appear to be pressed onto the aluminum axle. Next use external snap ring pliers to remove the snap ring. Then a washer, C clip and larger washer can be removed. Now tap the axle out with a hammer - it will slide out the disc end. The disc end of the axle has the same plastic cap and snap ring on it. Now the press fit bearings are visible for inspection, removal of the seals for additional grease, or removal with a bearing tool for replacement. When done, slide and tap the axle back in from the disc side and replace all the stuff you removed on the other end.