Mavic front hub maintenance

Hi all,

Mechanic wannabe here!

I’m slowly buying tools and stepping up my maintenance skills servicing my bike.

I tried to service my Mavic Aksium Disc front hub and I can’t figure out to get access to the bearings. Looked at YouTube and other sites but no luck -All hubs are different from mine.

Any ideas how I can open the hub? There is two little grooves in one of the side but I don’t think it’s for the mavic tool. I can’t see a place to insert any hex or wrench. Couldn’t even remove the QR end adapters!

Cheerios for any help!

https://tech.mavic.com/tech-mavic/technical_manual/pdf/getProductSheet.php?macronu=29667&declinaison=FRONT&filialenu=2&co=US

Looks like you pop the QR end cap off, then that plastic cover on the RHS to reveal a circlip. Remove that and bang the axle out, I think it’ll bring the LHS bearing with it, then tap the RHS one out. Reverse to reassemble!

1 Like

Cheers @alexgold123.
I manage to remove the QR ends. But the plastic cap still a mystery to me. On the disc side I don’t have access to it as it sits inside the disc recess (probably comes out while banging on the shaft). The side I have access there is no space to insert anything and force it out and its hard plastic that doesn’t bend.

I’m probably being daft, Please un-daft me!

Can’t you just stick a small screwdriver in the slot and pop it out? I can’t really remember doing it, but fairly sure it doesn’t thread and just pops off