Hub Bearing Press?

I’m currently in the middle of the yearly annual deep clean/maintenance on my mountain bike, and would like to service my hubs.

I can source the new bearings, and looks like I’ll need to buy a punch set to get the bearings out, but pressing the new bearings back in will be an issue.

A quick google search shows some pricey ($150+) press kits for bearings, but since this is a once a year use, I can’t justify that amount of money. I’m searching for DIY press or other option. I know I can use a hammer and socket to “press” bearings in, but wouldn’t want to go that route until it’s necessary.

any helpful tips?

Would [this](TOOL BEARING WOB UNIVERSAL BB PRESS https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MU3K0I1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_aZ7fCbD8CE4P8) Work??

$50 alternative

That’s more in my price range, but I don’t believe that shaft is small enough to go through a hub bearing. That would be a no-brainer for bottom bracket press-ins, but thankfully all of my bikes are threaded, which saves a lot of hassle.

Something like that is what I’m looking for, but it’ll have to be smaller… I think.
Below is Hope’s hub service video - quite informative!

1 Like

I suppose I could go with something like this:

and buy the Drifts separately as needed here:

Geez I had a brain fart. I immediately thought bearing press and my mind thought of that. Didn’t consider wheel hub bearings.

I was in the same predicament last season. I ended up using my quick release and a bunch of washers and socket wrenches to press my bearings. It was super easy and way cheaper than buying a special tool set.

Edit: I did this with the Hope Pro 4 hub and their bearing replacement kit (following the Vimeo videos with a plastic mallet was driving me insane… looks so easy not so much in real life).

1 Like

I have this set:

And one of these too:

Additional tools and drifts here :slight_smile:
Wheel and Hub Bearing Tools

M.

1 Like

I used a blind bearing puller to remove them. https://www.amazon.com/8MILELAKE-Internal-Bearing-Puller-Hammer/dp/B016W8GSQ8/ref=sr_1_7?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1545168323&sr=1-7&keywords=bearing+puller+slide+hammer

For pressing, I used the wheels manufacturing drifts, but went the redneck route for the press. I use a 3/8 threaded rod from the hardware store which fits nicely in the drifts. On either side of the drifts I placed a wash and a nut which I turn with closed end wrenches. Similar to this: How To Make A Headset Cup Press/Install Tool - YouTube