Mattresses and pillows you love?

I recently borrowed my wife’s to try one. I loved it, and am ordering a slightly heavier one for myself. I found it helps me sleep better. I no issues with falling asleep, but usually wake up in the middle of the night and am awake for a few hours. This has helped reduce this occurrence. Not everyone likes them, but you can get one on Amazon for around $50 so it’s not to big of a risk to try one.

1 Like

I bought one just before Christmas and I love it. I don’t know if the quality of my sleep has improved but it’s so damn comfortable!

In my never ending search for the perfect pillow I think I’m close to a result. I’ve been using a organic buckwheat pillow for two weeks (Christmas gift) and must say it’s been great. I’ve removed about a third of the contents and think I may remove a little bit more to reduce the height to the perfect level for me.

What I like about it, I can alter it as required, feels nice and cool, doesn’t alter like memory foam on temperature of bedroom. When I ‘mould a shape’ it stays there, if my heads on the edge of the pillow, it stays there. Having some great nights sleep, starting to plan for holiday nights away, if possible I’ll bring my pillow!

Thanks for the rec. I have settled on natural latex and am not impressed with the local store that sells it, so Flo is looking like a great option. Same price, better return policy, and no sales tax, so that kind of seals it.
The pillow looks appealing too.

For mattresses, I’d recommend Tuft and Needle. It is a foam mattress but doesn’t get hot like memory foam. I’ve been using mine for 3 years so far and I cannot wait to go to sleep each night. My sleep tracker indicates that I do not roll over anywhere near as often as I did before purchasing the T&N.

The fact that T&N is inexpensive is a real bonus!

Pro-tip: You don’t need the ‘mint’ version. The standard mattress is exactly the same. The mint version just adds some sidewall support if you sit on the edge of the bed a lot. IMO, there is no way that it’s worth the upcharge.

1 Like

I’ll PM you with referral info, if you want to use it. :slight_smile:

I’ve been looking into Bear mattresses since you get a small (20%) discount through USAC/Experticity. They offer one for “athletes” — though I’m not sure what that means exactly.

Anyway, if you look at their photos, they have a VonHof bike in the background. That’s rad IMHO.

Wife and I both have Therapedic side sleeper pillows. I love it. Firm, but foam soft with great support.

We bought a fancy Stearns and Foster innerspring mattress with thick foam in top. It’s the best mattress either of us has ever slept on. MSRP is like $6000, but we bought the Macy’s floor model at the end of their fiscal year (Feb) and got it for $1200 delivered. Definitely recommend a floor model if you can get over everyone has laid on it for six months.

We tried a Casper for 10 days and neither of us liked it. We laid on several Purples and they were weird. We tried the others while we were at Macy’s and the one we have now is juuuuuust right.

I think my wife would love a weighted blanket. I think I would melt.

Weighted blanket is awesome! You won’t melt if you also get an Ooler.

Sleep number everything. Varicool pillow from sleep #. With bamboo sheets. My house stays at 65. Largely because I’m cheap. Man, hey… I sleep like baby man. 4-6 hours of sleep a night.

I wake up and run numbers. Think of product. Look at key metrics. Catch up on emails. That said, I’d maybe get 2 hours at a time before I moved my phone to the car at night.

Let me know if you want to know about my wrinkle cream.

Another option:

I bought a twin size for my side of the bed and would definitely buy again to use on my Tempurapedic memory foam bed.

The memory foam bed (an old version that doesn’t have any cooling features that the newer ones seem to have) is friggin’ awesome but gets hot when my body is in deep recovery after a long race or hard workout. This pad makes it much cooler.

Used to use it only in the summer, but with a weighted blanket I now use this during the winter, too. Still gets a bit warm sometimes, but I just expose my legs some more.

With the weaved texture surface, it does getting used to, but I would definitely buy again as a poor man’s version of the Ooler.

PS: If you don’t have much fat under your shoulder blades or if your skin is sensitive under your shoulder blades, then the pad might feel a bit hard. You can slide the pad down so that the pad is only under your lower chest down to your feet, which is what I do.

Update 7/31/20: I realized that the rattan cover on my tempurapedic could not keep up with the heat I’m generating. After going to sleep on my back, I realized that I kept on sleeping on the side because my back was hot, even on the rattan cover. So I broke down and got the Ooler that I got two days ago. For the past 2 nights, I slept super awesome.

I am a navy seal when it comes to sleeping.
I don’t like pillows or blankets. I sleep anywhere and it’s all the same to me regardless if it’s a bed, sofa, carpet, or tile. Noise and light don’t matter. My eyes are half open.

I don’t know how this came about but Once I sleep, I am rested regardless of anything.

Just bought a Douglas mattress (canadian sub brand) they also produce the novosbeds…

It’s going to be our first time on a memory foam mattress so it should be quite interesting.

Yep - I got the Gravity blanket and really like it too. Quality is high. The one I bought is marketed as ‘cooling’ which is totally bogus but other than that… great pick-up. BTW - I weight 180lb and bought the 20lb which feels spot on.

1 Like

I ended up getting one - love it. So comfortable.

Last year I had to move out of my old place. Had very little notice and not much money to my name. Luckily I found another place to stay but still needed to get basics like a bed, mattress etc. Ended up picking up a cheap memory foam mattress from here. Honestly, It’s the best mattress I’ve slept on and the one I had before was probably twice the price.

2 years ago I change my mattress because due to old one my lower back pain starts and it’s get worst. I’ve decided to change my mattress. I was confused that which one will be suitable for my back pain. One day I was randomly surfing over the internet and I read some reviews about the mattress and these reviews helped me a lot to choose my desire mattress And it was Purple mattress. It’s expensive but worth it and I loved it because it’s damn comfortable.

I sleep in a pile of hay.

1 Like

In case anyone needs another recommendation for the Ooler cooling pad since it’s so expensive, that things is the best $700 I have spent in a long time - definitely tops any bike-related purchases except maybe a power meter in my eyes. I sleep hot and typically woke up at least once a night sweating. Since I got an Ooler (just did the half a bed size) a few months ago, I sleep much more soundly - even under a weighted blanked and duvet. I never noticed a big difference in sleep whether I turned off my electronics/lights ahead of going to bed and or used breathable/cooling pillows and pads. I know understand what people are aiming for when they talk about proper sleep hygiene

1 Like

If anyone wants to up their blanket game… a lightweight, looser weave wool blanket. I use the same one all year round. Keeps you warm without overheating you.

I’ve tried a Pendleton one, and the one we bought turned out to have too tight of a knit. It’ll last longer, but it’s not the same experience. Wife uses that as her nuclear blanket.