Masters Low Volume Plan Worked Great

I did my first “century” ride yesterday (San Diego Gran Fondo, so not quite 100 miles) and the TR masters low volume plan I did starting in January worked great! I did all my training rides outside (I don’t have a trainer) and I missed only a few rides over the course of the training plan. My primary goal for the century was to finish, secondary goal was to feel relatively good at the end and my final goal was to finish in under 7 hours of actual riding time. I accomplished them all, finished feeling a heck of a lot better than I thought I would and in a riding time of 6:24. (I used the Saturday app to calculate my fueling and so I’m sure that helped with how I felt throughout and at the end of the ride.) I only did two long training rides that were “off plan”, the longest of which was ~66 miles. I was frankly surprised that the TR plan prepared me as well as it did without any regular long rides.

As for the ride itself, parts were beautiful but I don’t think I’d do it again. Far too many stoplights getting out of and then back into downtown San Diego, the rest stop locations were not great on a day that ended up in the 90s for the hilliest parts of the ride and quite a few of the roads were pretty heavily trafficked without large shoulders. There was about a ~30 mile gap between the second and third rest stops and that 30 miles had essentially all of the climbing. A stop just for some water somewhere along that section would have really helped – I ran out of water and cramped up a bit along that section.

All of that probably makes it sound like I didn’t enjoy myself, which couldn’t be further from the truth. I met some great people along the way – including a really nice guy who gave me a salt tab – and I really enjoyed the experience as a whole.

23 Likes

Congrats, and nice work! We love hearing this! :clap: :muscle: :mountain_biking_man:

1 Like

Great job @bmarum - Good on ya for following the plan through and getting the great results! I did parts of the SD Gran Fondo last year on my own from my door step (the medio route) and I echo what you said about the course with all the stop lights, not so nice stretches of road, and the route to and from the waterfront. Yesterday happened to be the hottest day of the year too, so while the sun was nice it does get very hot inland.
Did you travel to SD to do the ride or are you local?

1 Like

Thanks! The East County folks I ended up riding with for parts of the ride told me exactly that about the heat – just my luck I suppose. I’m sort of local to San Diego – I lived in SD for about ten years and now I come down regularly for work so did this as part of a work trip.

1 Like

Great work @bmarum!

Hard work pays off, and this is a great example of how important it is to get on the right plan for your specific needs. More isn’t always better!

It sounds like you really knocked your training out of the park and made the perfect decisions as to when to throw in those two long rides. Fueling obviously helps too!

Those moments when you’re deep into the event and starting to suffer a bit are actually my favorite. :smiling_face_with_tear:

If it weren’t for those, it would probably only feel half as good when you finally cross the finish line! :checkered_flag:

Again, nice work! :clap:

3 Likes

Noiccceeeee!!! Thank you for sharing :slight_smile:

Congratulations on achieving all your goals! Happy TR was able to be a part of the journey :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Nutrition is key on big events like centuries. That really nice guy may have introduced you to the best things ever; salt tabs! haha. I use them every time I have a big event as they really help me prevent cramping. :see_no_evil:

1 Like