Make SIS BETA fuel yourself just a few pence per bottle

Thanks for the guidance man! appreciate it :muscle:

All you need to know is that the general consensus is:

Absorption of glucose tops out around 60g, but fructose is absorbed through different ‘channels’ and tops out at an additional 30g.

So if you combine the 2 sugars, you can potentially absorb up to 90g of carbs per hour. This ‘limit’ seems to be somewhat personal, and some people are dosing even larger amounts. Do the reading to understand it better, as there’s no need to take onboard the maximum for everything above Z2. Fructose is more expensive than glucose and seems to be worse for your health, so I avoid it if I don’t think I need it.

1 Like

As you’ll see in the link to the other thread, I just recently started making my own mix and love it. Not just because it is cheaper, but because I can control all aspects of it - amount of carbs, electrolytes, caffeine, flavor variety, etc. I really enjoy my custom Infinit Nutrition mix, but at 1-2 bottles per hard workout, up to four times per week, that gets expensive quickly.

3 Likes

@mcneese.chad can we get this merged?

1 Like

Happy to do so. Do you guys want it attached to the one linked above or a different one?

Just want to make sure I get it where it is best.

1 Like

@mcneese.chad, recommend keeping “Make SiS Beta” as the master, and adding / appending this to that thread.

2 Likes

Reckon doing a double dose of SIS go in a litre bottle would be a good idea? That would be 72g of carbs & 292 calories in a litre bottle

So Skratch labs has their sport drink mix on Amazon for around 19 us dollars for the small container https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076PLL2D5?pf_rd_r=DS44V3C6M4KHMCENWHVC&pf_rd_p=65ab0b11-841c-426b-9aa4-db936a6924ad&pd_rd_r=2d3e6bbe-042e-42a7-8ad7-902e66455051&pd_rd_w=SK0Vt&pd_rd_wg=BGbaj&ref_=pd_gw_unk. it comes out to 1.50 per session (scoop and a half) for an hour for me. Does not sound like a significant savings or am I missing something? Maybe I’m not taking in enough during my ride.

1 Like

Based on the label, it is only 20g of carbs per serving. At 1.5 scoops, you’re getting 30g of carbs. In theory there’s room for another 60g of carbs per hour, but only if you feel you need it.

I had been using a mix with 72g of carbs and recently bumped it up to 90g - definitely helps.

1 Like

I think Skratch’s “equivalent” is the Super Fuel

1 Like

Based on carb content of 100g I would agree. $39.50 for 8 servings is just under $5 per serving.

SKRATCH LABS Sport Hydration Drink Mix (20g carbs, 380mg sodium) looks like more of a hydration drink on par with Precision Hydration 500 (18g of carbs, 500 mg sodium).

In theory doubling Sis Go Electrolyte would get you to 72g of carbs, but also 1000mg of sodium. If you lose a lot of electrolytes when you sweat then no problem. Too much sodium could cause GI issues (for me that happens at 1500mg).

Right now it is 25% off, so $30 (USD) for 40 servings. If you double them then it is $30 for 20 servings, or $1.50 per serving - on par with some of the recipes above that use Nuun or PH for electrolyte, but still more expensive than if you just use sodium citrate.

1 Like

So any issue straying from the 2:1` and doing something like 60g maltodextrin and 5-10g fructose to get a decent amount of carbs without it being overly sweet? Gonna try a Nuun tab for electrolytes.

No issues. From what I understand of the research, most people can absorb at most around 60g of malto per hour. Fructose gets absorbed via a different pathway for up to an additional 30g per hour. That totals 90g per hour max (again, for most people, but @Jonathan has worked himself up to 120g per hour). You can certainly go less.

FWIW, I started making my own mixes and have tried both Nuun tabs and PH500 packets with 90g of carbs - both tasted great and worked well to fuel my workouts.

I just ordered some BCAAs to see if that also helps. My previous custom mix from Infinit Nutrition had some and there appears to be some research suggesting that BCAAs help fight feelings of fatigue and assist with energy transport to the muscles. Powder won’t be here until early Jan, though, so I have to wait a few weeks to see if there is a noticeable difference.

5 Likes

I think you meant Nate

Thanks for the detailed responses man! really do help :grin:

Seems SiS has 40-50% off sales pretty much all the time - anything that makes this better than BETA? Reduced packaging/waste aside…

If you can find SiS Beta for about $1(USD) per sachet then I’d recommend going for it. Otherwise it can be cheaper to make it yourself, especially if you use sodium citrate instead of Nuun, PH, or any other electrolyte product.

1 Like

Have you or anyone here used corn starch en lieu of malto with any success?

1 Like

No, I have not tried corn starch. A quick search mentioned differences in short and long chain molecules. At a minimum I recommend looking at how quickly the energy can be absorbed.

1 Like