Make SIS BETA fuel yourself just a few pence per bottle

If I am going for 50/50 glucose/fructose, is there any difference in sweetness if I go 100% sucrose vs. 50% maltodextrin + 50% fructose?

Is there a difference in “mouth feel”…when I put 150g into a bottle it’s sorta thick. Not “gel-like” thick but…pretty thick.

Joe

Tangent…

When I was a lot younger, and didn’t fuel on the bike, I had a small 500mL bottle filled with Coca Cola that lived in the seat tube bottle cage of my bike for several months as an “emergency bottle”. When I did finally drink it the furry mess inside was unbelievable. One of the nastiest things I’d put in my mouth :face_vomiting:

4 Likes

Almost indistinguishable according to the numbers, but might depend on chain length of your malto. Might not. Interested to hear your perception. I have not tried.

Haven’t looked into the numbers on this or tried it. Maybe I will soon. Good question. Let me know your findings.

1 Like

I’m impressed a coke went bad.

2 Likes

Does anyone on here know what types of sugar are in beet vs cane sugar? Way near the beginning of the thread someone mentioned that table sugar has 1:1 glucose and fructose, but doesn’t that depend on the source?

I mention this 50/50 because In the Gatorade formulas online, they mention this:

But I still do not understand exactly if powder Gatorade contains any amount of fructose

It wasn’t the coke-it was the bottle decomposing :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

Bottled Gatorade must be somewhere between 2:1 and 1:1 glucose:fructose because there is at least as much sucrose as dextrose. Sucrose = 1:1 gluc:fruc.

Powdered Gatorade appears to be the same.

Gatorade Endurance:

Gatorade endurance appears to move the dial slightly towards a 1:1 ratio, but there is no way of knowing how much.

So, in direct answer to your concern: yes, powdered Gatordade’s carbohydrate content is at least 33% fructose. It is likely to be around 33% fructose, if I had to guess.

1 Like

Do you know if it is correct to mix Pure Maltodextrin + pure fructose in a 1:1 to 2:1 ratios with plain water, and add Performance Hydration electrolytes? or it is better to have a mix of sucrose+Malto+fructose to get the desired ratio (1:1 to 2:1)?

Sure!

Nope, not better. Just cheaper. Same effect.

Definitely add sodium. I use Sodium Citrate

FYI: Sodium citrate has about 1000mg sodium per tsp. Table salt is about 2000mg sodium per tsp.

4 Likes

Thanks Alex

1 Like

Alex, I’m sure you’ve posted many times but having trouble finding how much sodium citrate I should add to a 2:1 Gatorade Powder/Malto mix for a good starting point? I ordered the stuff you linked.

500-1500mg sodium per liter is a good range to play with. I wouldn’t start higher than 1000mg/L until you know how your gut tolerates.

FYI: Sodium citrate has about 1000mg sodium per tsp. Table salt is about 2000mg sodium per tsp.

1 Like

Fyi Gatorade has 200mg sodium for each 32 g serving so two scoops has 400mg already so add 600mg to meet Alex’s recommended amt

2 Likes

Thanks guys!

So what’s a good way to measure that lol?

Look at @Dr_Alex_Harrison’s post about 5 above

A food scale, I would make a big batch

1 Like

The Gatorade containers we buy have a scoop size that is 63 grams carbs per scoop. I just assume ~60 for ease of math and use just the scoop, rather than a scale. I do a lot of eyeballing and calling it good :slight_smile:

1 Like

How do you scoop the sodium citrate that precisely though haha