Madone SLR seatpost / ISOspeed HELP

New to this thread but certainly not new to the problem. I am waiting on my third frame. Same issues as above. LBS and Trek have been incredible, but I am thinking I may never ride this one, put it up for sale, and cut my losses. I have spent a combined 7 months without a bike that I spent a great deal of money on, well at least a lot of money as far as I am concerned. My main worry is that I let the original LBS talk me into saving some money and getting a rim brake bike and as many problems as the Madone is having there wonā€™t be any rim brake frames left to replace mine. I have learned more about the issue and potential fixes by reading this thread and will definitely share with LBS. Thanks for sharing my pain, misery loves company.

1 Like

Then they will upgrade you to a disc version. Yeah, youā€™ll have to shell out for some new components (maybe consider mechanical discs to save some money), but they canā€™t leave you high & dry. They have to give you an equivalent or better replacement product.

may be a smart decision if this is your third frame.

1 Like

Is this something specific to Madone frames and ISOspeed implementation? Or would other Trek road bikes that have ISOspeed theoretically have the same problem? It seems like everyone here is talking about Madone, but know there are a lot of other Trek models that use ISOspeed

This is less about Isospeed (but definitely related) and more about the specific seat mast and seat mast cap implementation here (specifically the seat height retention system). Some of the Domane models have seat mast and retention system with similarities, but I have not seen the same level of issues on that side.

Not sure if there are notable differences between them or if itā€™s just an issue about who has them and shares issues about them in different places?

While the seat height retention system may be having issues, ISO Speed is definitely the issue here. The problem stems from the retaining bolt loosening, and then causing cracks in the frame. Have a look at the pics earlier in the thread. Mine had exactly the same problem - a crack in the frame around the ISO Speed bolt hole on the non-drive side.

-Tim

1 Like

Good point. I am potential blending threads or comments, because ive seen issues with post heighr alip, as well as Isospeed pivot problems.

that bolt is under the little cover? How do i remove the cover?

Welp, glad I found this thread, had no idea this bold existedā€¦ had the suddenly loose seat mast after 2 years of no problems until a week agoā€¦ guess I am going to Trek for a new frameā€¦ of course my concern is how long itā€™s going to take to source itā€¦

1 Like

Thereā€™s a lot of scuffing around that socket the bolt goes into. Someone knew it was there. Previous owner or LBS? Not sure Iā€™d bother to try to get a frame swap for that little chip, but good luck. I guess that could be a precursor to the kind of damage madone_sl7ā€™s bike had. Also - Trek issued a technical advisory on this (which was to basically do what some of us did ourselves and loctite the bolt), so your retailer should have got in touch and told you to bring it in to have it done.

1 Like

I already dropped it off at my local trek store. Little chip, but that will get bigger quickly with the seat mast movement. The employee said heā€™s seen a couple of these cases already, and agreed they need to publish this so people know to maintain it. So hopefully they accept and process relatively smooth/quicklyā€¦

Is there a link to the advisory or how does it get issued?

No, I think it just goes to dealers.

I had my LBS re-do Trekā€™s recommendation last month while they were doing some cables & new BB but honestly didnā€™t need it. My homegrown fix had worked fine for months. No longer have the problem.

I just picked up my Madone from the lbs and all they did was replace the isospeed mount again. They swear it will work and Iā€™m not too sure, seeing how this exact same fix only lasted for a few hours in the saddle. No need for a new frame according to them, as thereā€™s no damage to it.

1 Like

After about six weeks of waiting, I finally got my Madone with the new frame, replaced by Trek, and with an upgraded handlebar. I took it for a 15 miles ride today - yeah, thatā€™s my bike alright. The new handlebar seems to be extending a bit further ahead so I feel bent a little more forward. They left the original seat post of course but luckily it matches the lettering on the new frame, so almost as if it was on purpose.

6 Likes

In spite of all the issues, such a great looking bike

1 Like

So they didnā€™t loctite the thread on the new bolt? Howā€™s it been going?

I went to the LBS AGAIN mid-april. This time they replaced not only the bolt but also the isospeed. Locktite on the bolt. Itā€™s now been 3 weeks since then and quite a few long-ish rides in mixed terrain, no lateral play anymore.

Fingers crossed, Iā€™m cautiously optimistic.

1 Like

Cool. Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s just that the movement of the isospeed can gradually loosen the bolt and that loctite is enough additional friction to stop it happening. I also suspect it was compounded in my case by the bolt being inserted the wrong way round when my bike was built, which made the loosening process a bit easier.

FWIW, I have been looking at new bikes the past few weeks and for a brief moment, considered a Madone, but then I remembered this thread and quickly nixed that idea.

3 Likes

Worth looking at an Emonda instead - just as pretty, lighter and doesnā€™t have the snazzy seatpost to go wrong (two friends have them, Iā€™m still faster downhill :wink: )

I donā€™t regret buying it, makes me smile every time I take it out on the road.

2 Likes