Low Friction Cooking Oil (Looks Super Fast) - Can it be used on a chain

My Dearest Bro’s and Broette’s,

So kind of unrelated to cycling, however, I think we may all benefit from the following insights.

I was at the local ski resort when this dude standing at the top of the sled hill was making some major claims about the speed of his sled is to his family. He stated that he applied some “Cooking Oil” to it. Naturally, I’m chuckling to myself, ok Jerry good luck that.

Much to my surprise this guys goes full send, in a flash of light he goes from the top of the hill all the way to the parking lot, destroying structures and went through several snow drifts along the way as well.

I was wondering if anyone may have heard what the latest low friction lubricants being used in snow sports are.

P.S. - There was a film crew there, which makes me think there is an announcement coming soon.

Happy Holidays everyone!

1 Like

I got an advance of the film….

3 Likes

Fluorocarbon waxes were the thing, until they got banned a couple of years ago because of their environmental impact. Current race waxes use carbon particles, among others. But ski waxes solve a very different problem than bike chain lubes: they aim to optimize the interface with snow crystals, and thus are unrelated to metal-to-metal friction reduction.

Cooking oils are vegetal and oxidize rapidly, making them unsuitable for mechanical lubricant applications.

1 Like

I’ll throw on some olive oil or some thin looking cooking oil like avocado or coconut. I’m sure an even lower viscosity oil is better, but honestly idc. A clever buy would be a jug of sewing machine oil. You can get a gallon for like $10. Bike oil is a huge rip off similar to paying someone to change the oil in your car

I use this for anything with bearings. Much cheaper buying in bulk.