Low cost training nutrition, recipes?

Get a reusable gel flask and make your own gel. Molasses, honey, rice syrup, whatever you have around that’s sugary will work. Or just straight-up honey from one of those little bears.

Raisins, or other dried, sweetened fruits are cheap and you can get a variety so you don’t get tired of just one kind. My favorite is sweetened pineapple chunks.

1 Like

rice cakes are hard to eat during a gravel race I learned

1 Like

GCN Energy Bars are lovely. I haven’t made them for a while though, as I’ve just been using shop brought granola or flapjack bars when they’ve been on offer. Handy to be able to cut up into mouthful size pieces, although I did take to making them in silicon bun/ cake trays to save cutting them up and the waste*. Must make them again actually.

*I might try the same with rice cakes.

Drink wise, I make my own with Dextrose/ Maltodextrose 50:50 mix, Fructose, and Electrolyte powder. I make up kg batches in an old SIS tub - 666g:333g:25g is the ratio.

Another one, which is harder to get here in Ireland, is Soreen Malt Loaf!

Bananas, raisins or any dried fruits, bread with honey/jelly, pancakes, waffles… I think Gu gels and all other pre-made energy products are good for portability and reduced issues with GI distress, but on the trainer these are not as important.

I used to prepare for my long outside rides rice cakes as others, but still it takes some time. Recently I discovered something that could work super during indoor workouts…
I just make my own sort of gels into a soft flask (I have one from Decathlon 500ml and it works just fine), I take:
2 bananas
nice shot of coffee
2 tablespoons of pure cocoa powder
Sodium mix from pharmacy
Blender, 5 seconds, job done :slight_smile:
Super easy to make, super easy on the stomach, gives me a real boost of energy (I use it on long rides outdoors), tastes super chocolately and costs almost nothing…
And honestly I don´t know what makes this effect, but this combination transformes itself after some time into a realy gel-like texture :slight_smile:

Than you can with many variations, banana + pears + cinnamon, dates + something sour (as dates are really sweet), frozen ananas, berries etc etc…

3 Likes

I’ve just ordered the ingredients to make up some home-made beta fuel: maltodextrin, fructose (to be mixed 2:1) and some electrolyte mix from Bulkpowders. Works out about 10% the cost of the real thing.

The only issue is trying to get a palatable flavour. I’ve seen flavourings, but they seem to be for protein mixes - not sure I fancy chocolate and peanut mid-workout! In my mind a few drops of lemon extract and a mint leaf would be delicious - gonna experiment. Have any of you used anything simple and cheap that makes it taste good?

Hit me with your recipes!

I use the dextrose:maltodextrine 50:50 that has a berry flavour. First few times I added cordial, but I’ve got used to the taste now!

I tried it with Strawberry Flavour drops that I used in yogurt, but felt it was a bit unnecessary as the flavour drops are aimed at zero calorie flavouring. But anyway, cordial for the flavour win - Vimto, when I can get it in Ireland!

Yeh, I did see some flavoured mixes, but as I wanted to add fructose (which I think was only unflavoured), I’ll have to improvise. Actually a cordial/ squash is a blindingly obvious idea. One to add to the shopping list!

I’d look at what you really need to maintain yourself on trainer sessions. I think it’s much less than people think.

I’m nothing special in terms of genetics and have a 3 year training history. I weigh 72kg and my FTP is 320ish. I used to obsess over nutrition on the bike and on the trainer but now I do high volume plans on water now. I won’t lie that some of the 2hr sweet spot guys are a little rougher at the end, but it’s totally manageable. I really think that everyone should be able to do around 60min of SS (so like a 90-ish minute workout) without exogenous fueling.

For me, a lot of it was mental and, just to note, I’m extremely skeptical of low-carb, paleo, keto or whatever approaches to fueling. I went from gel & sports drink to sports drink & Haribo to sports drink & dates and finally off all of it. I did it originally for dental health and just eating less shit overall. And I got tired of all these sweet tastes, having to buy or order special food and all the hassle that went with overthinking nutrition. I wasn’t trying to “fat adapt”, “train low” or lose weight.

I still keep Haribo and sports drink around if I’m feeling not hot or if I know I didn’t get good nutrition on the meals going into the workout. I fully fuel race efforts, hard/long outdoor rides, etc. with between 60-90gr of carb per hour.

2 Likes

Jelly babies all the way! Only when on the bike or immediately before though otherwise that sugar spike will kill ya!

How much maltodextrin do you add to your Gatorade? I usually get the big canister of regular Gatorade and use that for “normal” training when I want more than water. Then save my good stuff for more serious training days or races.

If found that dried apple rings, dried figs, banana chips, etc., work for me.
I also like to believe that the fibre and vitamins that come with dried figs for example make it a healthier option than gels and bars. Plus you don’t have to prepare them.

I don’t think it covers beverages, but this book has some very nice in-ride snacks: https://feedzonecookbook.com/portables/

It’s well worth reading, not only are the recipes cheaper than bars and gels but they taste a lot nicer too :slight_smile:

Hello Buh-risco…

+1 for just buying a pound of dextrose, a pound of fructose, and mixing them in some water at whatever concentration you like.

As much as you want! It’s not really sweet at all, and doesn’t taste like much, so you pretty much do whatever you want IMO. But I’ll usually do a scoop of Gatorade, and then add enough maltodextrin to equal 300-350 calories per bottle in total.

+1 on dried fruit providing nutrition, but fiber is a different story. Fiber slows digestion, which is good when you are off the bike. In the middle of a workout you are trying to get that energy straight into your system quickly though, so you might get more benefit from fiber free options. Dried pineapple, for example.

1 Like

Yay community! Yesterday I did Taylor -2 with green tea + honey, and it felt awesome. I’ll try the pounds of fructose and dextrose. I have a lime tree, so that writes itself. On a side note, I received a stocking stuffer of Martinelli’s. It has 37 g total carbs, with 39 g of sugar. 2 g of magic sugar!

1 Like

I stumbled across this on the Torq website about the benefits of 2:1 glucose (maltodextrin) /fructose intake. Thought I’d share - torqfitness.co.uk/news/maltodextrinfructose

It refers to a number of studies (I’m not personally going to be tracking them all down) for those who like to do further reading. Something new to me was the statement that a 90g serving would be needed to gain benefits over just maltodextrin alone. I thought the benefit was that the 2 sugars could be absorbed simultaneously (I suppose maltodextrin is absorbed pretty quickly anyway), but Torq say 60g will saturate the intenstine’s glucose transporters, so the benefit of taking in fructose comes at that moment. In other words, if you only use 60g of carbs in your drink (what I’d been doing for a few weeks), don’t bother with fructose. Maybe I missed the memo and apologies if so, but I don’t remember seeing this discussed - explains Beta Fuel coming in 88g sachets too.

“It is important to point out that in order to experience the benefits of using multiple transportable carbohydrates over that of a single form of carbohydrate you need to saturate the transporters in the intestine that absorb the carbohydrate as comprehensively as possible, so to experience the benefits, an intake of 90 grams of carbohydrate per hour is recommended. Taking on board only 60 grams per hour will supply a good level of carbohydrate to the blood with an extremely low chance of any gastrointestinal discomfort, but the higher does are where the true benefits of maltodextrin:fructose lie over single carbohydrate forms.”

1 Like

Banana ftw!

Following Scott Jurek potatoes are a bargain :wink:

1 Like

Bulkpowders 2:1 is great for me