Low cost training nutrition, recipes?

Do you have a link?

If I have a 1:30 or 2:00 workout I usually do 750ml of Malto:Fructose + electrolytes and a 2nd bottle at half strength or just water/cordial, just cos it seems like a lot of sugar with 2 full bottles. Iā€™ve had some pretty mild GI trouble, but I mainly put it down to the amount of food Iā€™m eating to maintain weight, specifically oatbran, which is high in fibre :wink:

Yes, I often start sipping on a bottle before I even get on the trainer. I figure any excess will go towards glycogen replenishment (I could be wrong). My recovery drink (SIS Rego) is only 2:1 carb to protein, so probably lacking on carbs a little. Does that sound reasonable, or still excessive?

Honeyville.com usually has 50lbs of maltodextrin for ~$50-$60. Thatā€™s about 90,000 calories or $0.0005 per calorie and Iā€™ve yet to find a cheaper set of easily digestible carbs. You just mix it with some for flavoring and you can make your own drink mix and gels for almost nothing.

2 Likes

how are you making gels with maltodextrin?

I mix maltodextrin, agave nectar, salt/light salt, flavoring, and water in a blender and then use a flask to take it on my rides. I usually make 25-50 servings at a time and have stored them in the fridge for several months without issue.

The agave nectar provides fructose so you can use both energy pathways (maltodextrin is comprised of glucose molecules), the recommendations for the ratio of the calories from the two vary from 3:1 to 1:1. The salt and light salt combo (3:2 ratio) provides both sodium and potassium electrolytes. The water and flavoring you will want to tweak for your preferences but Iā€™d target ~1.5oz of water per serving of maltodextrin (50g).

1 Like

Where do you get those prices? All the gels I find are 2-3$ each and scratch is one of the priciest powders

24 gels for $20.

And as for scratch I just buy it at Target and itā€™s less than $1 per serving.

whatā€™s better here Maltodextrin or a combo of Dextrose/maltodextrin to mix with fructose?

Theyā€™re both fast-absorbed sugars.

Dextrose is just taken up slightly faster, and is slightly sweet.

Maltodextrin is a more complex carb. In my mind at least, this means Maltodextrin will supply the energy at a steadier rate over time (although fairly fast). Itā€™s virtually flavourless.

IMO theyā€™re almost interchangeable, although in theory a 50:50 could give you some small benefit. Iā€™d just buy whichever is cheapest, which is usually straight up malto for me at Bulk Powders.

Thanks, I use Bulk Powders too and see a 50/50 mix. Think Iā€™ll go with that. Thanks for your help!

Quick tip as I ordered today. It says code TIER1 (30%) applies to all the items I bought, but I managed to use code TIER3 and get 40% off :slight_smile:

Where did you order?

What are you using for salt?

I ended up getting mine off Amazon (different brands). No salt in the gel mixture as I use the mix on the trainer.

Bulk Powders. I add their electrolyte powder to my home brew as it has other vitamins than just sodium - Electrolyte Powder | Pure Electrolytes | Bulkā„¢.

For second bottles, I usually just have water with 1 x SIS cola flavour electrolyte/caffeine tablet per 500ml.

1 Like

canā€™t believe Iā€™ve never done this before - a third of the cost of my normal brand

I make a mix of powdered sugar, salt, cornstarch, which can then have different flavors.

1. Espresso, molasses
  2. Various concentrated juices
  3. Espresso Maple syrup
    All melted in the microwave.

Its approximately 1 million times cheaper than gelsā€¦ with a very similar consistency

There also seems to be some research online about the benefits of cornstarch

1 Like

easiest homemade gel recipe;

Buy a bulk container of raisins.
put raisins in blender.
add water to desired consistency.
+salt, honey, lemon juice, whatever else you want.

you can buy reusable gel flasks cheap. Get a small funnel to help load them up. I keep 2-3 ready to go in the fridge.

3 Likes

I like to cook myself and I donā€™t buy into premade snacks due to extremely high sugar contents often and bad carbs in my opinion (white flour).

Also, for liquids, I donā€™t believe you need to add salt necessarily. I never do it. And I ride 8 hours easily.

I do, however, believe in nutrition requirements, which for me is about 35-40 grams of carbs every 30 mins after the first 1h15-1h30 of hard riding or after 4 hours of zone 2 riding.

So what I do is, I make rice cakes and I just drink lemonade instead of water. Thatā€™s it. That will help me get through anything.

Bonjour
May i ask what your weight us? ( Grans) body weight kg) merci