Loved and hated energy gels

I like SIS gels, but have stopped using gels. Somehow I feel that drinking carbs gives me more energy, so it’s liquids only.

1 Like

/end thread

Those are KILLER!

Really like Power Gels from power bar and Spring Energy gels, especially the awesome sauce.

2 Likes

:goat:

Just got a couple of the new Salted Citrus but haven’t tried them yet. Also a big fan of the Coffee flavor as it is a bit more bitter than sweet.

Just below the Untapped syrups for me…big fan of the Green Apple. They have a similar, thin consistency to the Untapped syrups.

1 Like

SIS gels have been my favourite since I started but I recently encountered this when buying some from the USA website (I’m normally in the UK).

Had a variety box sent to me over in the US on a recent trip and I thought they seemed more chemical-y than I remembered. Didn’t use very many of them and had spare weight allowance in my bike bag so I brought the rest back with me. I’m now pulling them at random from either a US or a UK box. I’ve often got a mix of them in my pocket and I can 100% tell which box a gel came out of by its flavour, and the chemical notes are even more pronounced when tasting back to back with UK gels.

It’s not bad enough for me to bin in-date gels so I’ll finish what I’ve got, but we’re definitely not getting the same product on both sides of the Atlantic.

2 Likes

You might enjoy this thread: What is the worst cycling food you’ve ever tasted?

One of the worst parts of doing bike events in the US is that Hammer seems to sponsor every single one of them. I won’t even take them if they’re free and I’m out!

SIS with caffeine all the way

1 Like

I don’t like most gels I’ve tried, but the Maurten ones are the best by far. You don’t need to chase them with water and they’re like eating jello.

2 Likes

My absolute #1 is this Isostar Exotic - with dominant Mango flavor.

90g serving, 45g of carbs.

1 Like

Some SIS flavors are just WRONG, others are fine. Chocolate/pasty Gu also do not work for me AT ALL. Heavy caffeine of all brands just burn my gut.

My goto gels have been and are Never2nd, everything except espresso, non-caffeinated or lower caffeine fruit Gu, and when my pallet is done, Maurten.

Torq Rhubarb & Custard. All day long.

3 Likes

The beauty of this flavor is that I would have no idea what to expect, so I could not complain that it didn’t taste as described.

3 Likes

I hate all gels. I just have Malto (or nothing) in bottles and real food these days.

1 Like

:+1: Gu vanlilla bean

:-1: Any chocolate flavor (and I love chocolate, just not while hot and sweaty)

1 Like

My experience with gels was brief. Tried one a single time…thought it was the most disgusting thing I’d ever had in my mouth, and never tried another one. Switched to cliff blocks, which are fine, but uust expensive crappy candy in a convenient sleeve. If I want solid sports fuel…I steal a baggie full of my kids fruit snack or sour patch kids. Usually I just put calories in my bottles these days.

1 Like

Has anybody tried the SISbeta fuel gels??….40g carbs is enticing…

SIS salted Strawberry are amazing. However, it looks like they discontinued that flavor.

I love the idea of real food but it kills me to chew while I’m huffin’ and puffin’.

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more. Hammer products are death.

1 Like

The only gel I currently use is SiS Beta Fuel and the SiS Nootropics. No one else listed carbs on their SiS Gels so I’m assuming that they are using the standard gels.

I’m a big fan of the Beta Fuel because of the 40-45g of carbs. I shoot for 70-100g of carbs in an hour and I can’t do the standard 18-25g of carb gels. The amount of food I’d have to pack and remember to eat is too much. I think the Beta Fuel Strawberry Lime & Orange taste great. Packaging is a bit on the hard to open side. But, the gummy beta fuel is really easy to open and also tastes great.

The Nootropic Gels have an insane amount of caffeine (the packaging has a warnign to not consume more than 1 per day), but deep into a race it’s like jet fuel. Sometimes on a 5+ hour day I carry one as emergency food, in case I start to crack.

I have tried all kinds of other gels, and for the money Beta Fuel is where it’s at. However, if I was looking for something lighter I do like the Hi5 gels. Basically fruit juice. Taste great, just not enough carbs.

1 Like