Looking for cooling fan recommendations

I don’t have data, but I find these blower fans to be more quiet than 18-20" circular fans that many of use used prior to these. The style you linked can move lots of air overall, but is quite loud in my experience, and the broader air flow doesn’t seem to work as well compared to the blower ducting.

The blower fan is more closed in, and the air flow so compact, that the focus seems to keep overall noise lower. I would suspect that two blowers are possibly about the same volume as one of those large circular fans.

1 Like

Got it… it not necessarily about size of power, but how you use it. and the blower style seems to be more efficient. Good.
Just order mine from amazon.

Thanks!

1 Like
  • That’s a great way to put it.

• I’d suggest that even the large circular fans are more like a breeze outside, decent flow over a wider area.

• A blower fan feels like you are rolling quick outside and can target right to the core or whatever you want to get air moving. That more confined flow and faster speed feel better, and I suspect actually cools better than the wider shape from the circular fans.

1 Like

Awesome!
I will use the new one for core cooling (front center or just off center) and the small 16" one for the back to keep my but from overheating! :joy:

1 Like

That is perfect. I love having air on my lower back. Really helps with RPE and I think actual cooling too.

1 Like

Hi, this is my first post.

I signed up to TR a few months ago, went off track after catching a mild form of the virus and now into the eleventh week of SSBMV2.

Great fun, but my cooling related question, at the risk of a thread hijack on my first post, is: I live in a small flat with small children so end up doing my sessions outside the apartment block. With no access to a wall plug/socket, I run my Tacx Neo2 on the pavement without mains electricity. It works a treat, but means that I have no access to artificial cooling. Does anyone have any suggestions to improve my comfort apart from sweating buckets?!

Thank you.

Public service announcement for those in the U.K. This works a treat, don’t even need to turn it up full. Worth the £70 I think.

Discussed at length here:

Importantly from that thread, there is a discount option:

UPDATE: Discount code is now TRAINERROAD10

Missed the discount! I did a search for U.K. Fan and this didn’t come up. So hopefully me posting this will change that now.

1 Like

Necromancing an oldie but goodie.

I just got on the air mover bandwagon, this was an offer i couldn’t refuse:

1300 cfm is wayyyy more than i need
my old fans we’re kinda dying on me so this should keep me going …for the bike and for my painting projects over the winter :wink:

2 Likes

It seems like there is a lot of love for the lasko blower-type fans and I bought one a year or so ago to add to a circular shop fan I already had. Honestly, I find the circular industrial style moves a more air over a larger area. I recently got another fan for my wife that’s a shop fan with a directional enclosure and that’s my new favorite (I “borrow” it from her daily).

Picture below. Fan on the right moves a lot of air, but in a small area. I think the fan on the left is better, moves more air over a larger area, maybe not quite the velocity. Fan in the middle is the clear winner, good mix of velocity and concentration. Using all
3 in an air conditioned space makes for really good evaporative cooling.

3 Likes

I’m sure I’m not the first person to think of this, but sharing to ensure it’s known:

You can use a basic smart plug ($20 for 4) to turn any regular fan into a remote fan. Not in terms of speed, but if your fan is hard to reach, put that on a smart plug and control it on / off from your phone.

3 Likes

I have a friend who have 2x24 inch industrial fans on his pain cave.
He say it feels like a hurricane in there!

2 Likes

Yes, those large and high powered fans can push more air. But in my experience, they are much louder for the same cooling effect when compared to the blower fans. So much depends on positioning as well, that people can have a good experience with either style.

1 Like

Agree that the shop fans are significantly louder, but I find that they cool significantly better (for me). I may not be using that lasko fan right, but I’ve tried it is multiple positions and angles and it’s OK, but not nearly as good as the shop fans.

1 Like

I’ve use axial fans forever…

They’re okay, but that centrifugal fan is just in another category.

I still might try to get an axial fan to replace my currently dying one. I’ve got nothing to lose lol

+1 on this fan

Any idea where i can get fans like on the Tacx Bike?
Screenshot 2020-11-28 185056
i think i searched up and down the whole internet, but couldn’t find any :face_with_monocle:

i want to put 2 small fans on my Lifetime table:

any recommandations?

at the moment i use one Honeywell on the table, but it’s a little bit to big:

are the small usb good enough?

Anyway, on the floor i use a Kickr Headwind!

I don’t have experience with it, but the Vornado might fit the bill

1 Like

it looks like a good brand, now i have to decide between 2 modells:

2 of them:

or 2 of them:

the pivot looks smaller and think it’s easier to place on the desk, but i prefer a black one