Looking for cooling fan recommendations

Yup, Vornado is good for a circular style fan… but it’s not even close when compared to the Lasko/Stanley blower fans.

2 Likes

My Stanley fan blows my towels off the bike and the stick next to me.

I hated the cost … (got a refurbished) … should have bought it last year. This fan WORKS!!! Worth it.

1 Like

didnt even know what those were! this model? https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-655704-Velocity-Blower-Yellow/dp/B006O6FA22/ref=asc_df_B006O6FA22/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167146990738&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6377795402282256209&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9013515&hvtargid=pla-274070646883&psc=1

2 Likes

Yup, I got that one first and it really is far better than the 5 or so circular fans I have used (including a Vornado).

I got the Stanley (pointed to my face and upper chest), and then added this larger Lasko (pointed to my mid and low chest). The combo is amazing.

Here is a pic of my fans, and the ducting I added to pull cool air from the window:

2 Likes

thanks!

1 Like

Love the switch ‘extender’ on the lasko!

1 Like

Ha, yup. I did the redneck engineer trick on both fans to make accessing the speed possible while on the bike. I have both fans on a small remote outlet for the main power control. But I like to adjust speed too, depending on the temp outside and the amount of cooling I need.

The blower fans or carpet dryer fans are far superior to pretty much any axial fan. I’ve measured the wind speed of my Lasko Max performance fan to be 39 mph.

1 Like

$80 at Sam’s Warehouse in NorCal

3 Likes

Yep, that’s the one!

Is there a way to clean the Lasko fans? My fan picks up dust / dog hair which plays havoc with my allergies if I don’t clean it.

Is the problem with the fan picking up dust/hair and blowing it out, or dust/hair accumulation in the fan?

If the former, there is probably some kind of filter you can repurpose and put on each side on the air intakes e.g. cut up a furnace filter. Although the airflow is likely to be reduced if you do this.

If the latter, you can take apart the fan, but it’s a pain in the a$$. Lasko uses some security screws that you need a special tool to open, and to get to the rotating impeller and clean it requires a bunch more disassembly of a fan not designed to be disassembled - meaning you don’t know if it’s OK to force something apart in the hope it will pop apart, or if you’re going to break something.

All in, it you’re concerned about dust, the former approach is better. And/Or just vacuum your workout area frequently.

The fan picking up dust and hair and then blowing it out. It’s hard to keep the pain cave completely clean as we have two dogs and the Borzoi sheds constantly, even though he isn’t technically allowed in the pain cave.

Just ordered my second STANLEY 655704 on Amazon for $48. Not sure what the difference is between the Lasko and Stanley versions, but I’m happy with the first Stanley so I’m sticking with it! :+1:t3:

2 Likes

Followed suit. I’ll have one latsko blower and a Stanley blower come Monday. Stanley will stay home when I leave and then I’ll be able to double up when I get back. Interested to see the difference in the fans. Stanley must be smaller, I’m guessing.

1 Like

I’ve noticed that I can’t have my Latsko blowing on my face from ahead during hard workouts. It’s so strong it affects forceful exhales such as during VO2 max work, so I have to keep it aimed just below my neckline. Pretty damn strong.

Interested to hear about Stanley vs Lasko Max.

$48 for the Stanley at Amazon and Walmart, versus $80 for Lasko at Sam’s and other places.

I’ll let you know Monday. Won’t have both together in one place till October but can compare contrast anyway.

I think @mcneese.chad runs both now.

2 Likes

Yup, Stanley is just a bit smaller and a touch less powerful.

The Stan is nice for its size, but my next fan for the room (2nd setup) will be another Lasko.

I have my fan on a small table in front of my wheel. The exit from the fan is about at handlebar height. I then have a modest tilt upwards to direct the airstream to my head and torso.

Given the angle of my head/torso, the airstream hits my face at an angle - so not perpendicular which I could see being the case if my fan was on the floor, and could lead to issues breathing.