Long run enough to disrupt training plan?

So yesterday I had to do a 15 mile run event, as I’m in the military and it was considered our physical training (PT) for the day. Usually our PT is much shorter runs or strength training, so I’m curious on what other TR users thoughts are on how a long run would set back a training plan (I do my cycling workouts after said short runs / strength sessions in afternoon).

I started mid volume polarized about two weeks ago. Do I continue on with the plan, or take a ramp test and start over? Or is there a better option? Looking for TR users who have had experience with longer than usual events (running hopefully) in the middle of a plan, and if that set them back at all and how they overcame. Happy to give more personal/training info if it would help guide my decision.

How do you feel after your run? I’d say take a couple extra days off if necessary but otherwise carry on. No need to ramp test or start over unless it’s taking you out for a bunch of days.

1 Like

Definitely sore in my glutes, hip flexors, etc, but not nearly as fatigued as I thought I would feel. I guess aerobic endurance transfers from the bike a little more than I thought. I’ll probably take today off and get back into it tomorrow, thanks for the response!

1 Like

If you’ve any intense intervals lined up in the next couple of days I’d be inclined to swap them out for a short endurance session like Pettit and then continue as normal after that. You sound like you’re certainly aerobically fit enough for it, but the long runs can take a lot out of the legs, in terms of pounding, if you’re not used to them. Especially if you were pushing hard.

I am going to suggest the other direction. I run 3x and ride 4x per week. I find if i do a long run on Sunday (more than 150% of my normal weekday runs) I can still do really well for short hard stuff the next day. vo2max from 15/15 up to 90 seconds are the normal amount of sucky, but warmup will feel like death. RPE through the roof the first 10 minutes but the intervals themselves are fine. The thing I cant handle after days like this is SS, threshold even long Z2 stuff. I assume 3-5 min v02 would be way out as well but I have not bothered to ever try. My mental ability to put up with moderate discomfort for longer periods of time is totally shot for 2 days after a long run but I can gut out some short hard quality.

That’s funny, I’m the complete opposite. I usually long run Saturday and long bike Sunday so well used to the long Z2 and tempo rides the day after. I’ve never had a problem with them. At, or above, threshold is another matter :sweat_smile:.

That is interesting. So to sum that up for the original poster, you are screwed. This appears totally individual (and I am sure to a huge degree what you have adapted to) and you are gonna have to wing it till you learn what works for you :slight_smile:

What’s your typical running volume per week? What’s your typical long run of the week?

That should help us triathlete folk give some good input.

1 Like

:sweat_smile: Yes, well it is! Kind of.

I think @Scheherazade and @Michael_Tate have pertinent questions, the answers to which will shade the individual solution.

But I suspect a regularly training athlete as you appear to be puts you in the same category as a multi sport athlete who has simply jumped up the long run volume too much in place of the recommended 10% per week.

I also think @mattonabike and @KiloCal are both correct. If you’re aching but not injured you will likely be surprised by how good you can perform on the trainer today…but should you?

Probably can do any of the planned workouts, but the question is - will you still benefit from them while your body is still repairing the long run damage?

Now wouldn’t be the time to try to set a new PB with a ramp test, or over reaching vo2 intervals - but anything you normally consider “achievable” I would just do, or reorganise for an endurance ride instead. I wouldn’t take the day off.

Certainly I don’t think anyone will recommend you set back the training plan.