Before I begin I’ll state that I’m seeking professional medical advice from my doctor, but I still would appreciate opinions from fellow cyclists who’ve experienced similar issues.
- 40 year old male
- I have a pretty stressful job and several young children, I would categorize family life as very stressful
- Started cycling May 2018 with bike commuting, started regular training regimen with TR in May of 2019
- May 2018 I weighed 240 lbs, I have since dropped that to 209 lbs as of today, about 1/3 that weight was lost in the last two months.
- Resting HR between 45-60 bpm, depending on whether I exercised that day or not. My resting HR has been steadily dropping the more I’ve been cycling.
- 5-6 hours/week on the bike
- 6-7 hours sleep with a couple wakes a night.
Last week I experienced a near fainting episode while singing with my kids, shortly after I gathered myself I developed a minor headache that went away with Tylenol but felt tired for the rest of the day. Since then, I’ve been having issues with dizziness when standing up from lying down.
- The near-fainting episode happened at the end of a pretty hard cycling week. I did 3 difficult outdoor rides. 1 was a ride up a local mountain where I shaved 14% off my best time (thanks to TR!) and another was my first group ride over 50 miles, I would categorize it as a fast ride at 19.9 mph average with about 1,600 feet of climbing (again, thanks to TR!).
- I am strength training twice a week along with my cycling program.
- Could I be overtrained? I’m only on the low volume short-power build plan which, while extremely hard per workout, only equates to 300-350 TSS per week.
- When I consulted Dr. Google it appears a lot of endurance athletes suffer from orthostatic hypotension, though I haven’t had the time to read through the studies to find out exactly why. But again, who is an endurance athlete? A 40-year old guy who rides 3 times a week or a 20-year old collegiate athlete?
If you’ve had similar issues with dizziness please let me know your thoughts. Again, I’m seeking medical advice and I hope to get this issue resolved, but I’d like to know the thoughts of other cyclists who have experienced these issues.
Thank you in advance!