Light Beer vs Non-Alcoholic Beer

I bought that a few months ago and it got the thumbs down from brother-in-laws and sister-in-laws. I’d rather drink a Kombucha than all the non/low alcoholic beer I’ve tried.

To my uneducated tastebuds… and there is a six of Run Wild sitting 10 feet from where I type…

The Run Wild: (a) lacks the depth of flavor of a nice craft IPA and (b) has a bit of a harsh finish or aftertaste. Hard to describe but the “bite” in the finish is not as pleasant or tasty as other beers.

3 Likes

100%…I did not like the Run Wild at all for those exact reasons…but did find their Brown Ale (forgot the name) to be quite good.

2 Likes

Hard to remember now, but I’m going with @DarthShivious “lacks the depth of flavor”

1 Like

Had some Run Wild a few weeks ago. The taste to me was like when you were 10 and an adult let you take a sip of their beer and you wanted to like it because it wasn’t allowed but you really didn’t quite like the flavor just yet nor were you used to the aftertaste of beer.

I ended up having 2 and the second was the day after when there was also a brewery sponsor at the race so I had it after I had one of their beers. I think it was better the second day as a follow up beer when I was already satisfied from the taste of a “real” beer. I still haven’t committed to ordering any but that is sort of what I was interested in ordering some AB for, have one beer with dinner and then if I felt like another follow up with the AB. For times when I’m abstaining from beer entirely I’d rather just not have it.

1 Like

Drinking an Athletic Brewing Upside Dawn right now. Hits the spot!

1 Like

Sarcasm doesn’t always come thru, the “missing little something” I was referring to is the alcohol. Should we put sarcasm in pink or something?

Joe

2 Likes

Like some others here, I cut alcohol way back the past couple of years. Mostly, I grab an NA when I just want the flavor to accommodate certain foods. I like the AB Free Wave Hazy IPA best. The Lagunitas IPNA is also good. The AB Run Wild is ok, but I definitely prefer the Free Wave.

Some commented on the first sip being off. I think that’s true. With a craft real beer, the first sip usually reveals everything about the beer. With the NA beers, I think it’s a bit better to just drink without thinking too much. The flavors seem to ‘build up’ as you drink and you tend to end up in the same place with regard to flavor palette at the end.

1 Like

Athletic Brewing just didn’t do it for me. I’d choose Bud Light, or just give me something other than beer like a Kombucha.

1 Like

I’m going to have to try the athletic brewing and Aldi NA beers and see how I like them. I don’t drink much during the week anymore anyway and even on weekends I just have a couple beers with lunch on Sunday.

Here in UK I’ve tried the Athletic Brewing beers and they are…ok, but fruity for my taste. The Aldi NA pilsner are very good, really like them and silly cheap. Favourite NA is Lucky Saint but that is quite expensive £2 a bottle roughly.

1 Like

Here in the UK there’s a small brewery in London that makes “Small Beer”. Apparently this is what most people drank in the 1700/1800’s when it was considered a lot safer than drinking the water. I really like it as I’ve never been a fan of strong beer.

1 Like

I never feel satisfied by low ABV beers, so I try to substitute a good tasting seltzer water most evenings. Then when I do enjoy a beer, it’s something with a robust ABV.

If you stumble across it the Athletic brewing octoberfest, it is the best of their offering. I found it exactly once last year and with the other octoberfests showing up on shelves much to my dismay I am back on the hunt. No luck so far.

Guinness 0 is great and so is the Sam Adams NA Hazy IPA offering.

2 Likes

Calories are different depending what you get. I personally stopped drinking over 4 years ago and used to have a NA (sam Adams just the haze, Guinness draught 0) but even don’t do that anymore as feel way better.

Some positives for me: After only a year I found myself remembering things better and even things I totally forgot came back. Sleep has always been good but I did notice a huge difference when I don’t have anything. This has helped my recovery immensely.

Good luck.

Absolutely my two faves as well.

Joe

1 Like

Why is Kombucha the default alternative to NA beer?

1 Like

Love the taste of Kirkland Ginger Lemonade Kombucha. Tastes better than any NA beer I’ve tried. Somewhat reminiscent of a few IPAs that I like, but strong on ginger with sour acidic notes and some sweetness.

I did enjoy the stout that athletic brewing was giving out for free at my half marathon expo, it was also weird walking around with a beer lol.

Don’t know whether ill buy it though.