Let us bow our heads in silence... the demise of MTB Podcast

Yeti!! :beers:

Same for me as well. I listened to MTB podcast and ultimately bought my first indoor trainer based on their recommendation. This led me to zwift, buying a road bike, the trainerroad podcast, and now trainerroad.

3 Likes

@roadney Gateway drugs one and all!

You can bet the whole rig including the truck is ceramic coated!! :sunglasses:

Do you remember the episode this was on? I need to do this for me new bike.

I donā€™t remember the exact episode but it was one of the last few.

Iā€™ve ceramic sealed a few vehicles and four bikes now, so have a fair bit of experience. Itā€™s pretty straight forward and definitely easiest to do when the bike is new and in perfect condition.

My recommendation is to do a ceramic spray. This is super easy to apply and hard to screw up.

A kit like this would get the job done:

You want to prep the frame. You want to get it really, really clean. Then you want to spray with isopropyl alcohol and wipe with a clean microfiber. This gets off any remaining residue and grease. You then apply the ceramic sealant (per the manufacturer instructions). You let it dry/flash, then polish it with a microfiber. You then want to leave it overnight to cure. The next day you can apply a ā€œboostā€ product like this:

The boost will add to the shine and can be reapplied periodically.

Between rides I usually clean my bike with waterless wash: Adam's Polishes Waterless Wash & Towel | Waterless Car Wash

The waterless wash has a lot of lubricants in it and helps prevent scratching of the frame as you clean it.

If the bike is very dirty, then Iā€™ll soak it with a foam cannon and MegaFoam soap and then wash with a microfiber, before rinsing with a low pressure sprayer.

4 Likes

Here is a shot of my Checkpoint after it was ceramic coated with the Adamā€™s products. It looks shiny in the photo, but it looks even better in person. The cool thing is how easy it is to clean after it has been coated.

4 Likes

Looks great. Thanks for sharing your methods too.

Do you have to take apart the bike before initial application?

I usually just take the wheels off and put the bike in a bike stand, but otherwise donā€™t fully take it apart.

If you are building up a bike and have access to the frame and fork before the bike it put together, then applying the sealant at that time would be easiest but isnā€™t absolutely necessary. I did this on a Niner Hardtail I had built up last year.

Me too.Totally.
I love the TR podcasts and listen to them non stop, but most of all I enjoy the MTB ones and the one with Lee Mcormack. think it is no.127, and what a bummer it wont play on my phone podcast app.
So I will only be awarding :star: :star: :star: :star: for Jonathanā€™s podcast.
I really enjoyed hearing about their (Jonathan,Nate and Chad) experience in the 6 day stage race, and was quite upset when Jonathan crashed and had to drop out!
Also as a mountainbike racer I enjoy the tech talk, and discussions about different set ups on a mtb. Etc Etc.
So sad. Going to cry my way through Jacks+3 :disappointed_relieved: :disappointed_relieved: :sob: :sob:

Just got an email from Worldwide Cyclery: itā€™s back! Iā€™ll miss Jonathan and Steven but looking forward to the new episodes, and potentially even better news: all of the old episodes are available on the feed!!

2 Likes

They recorded fart sounds. Off to an auspicious startā€¦

Unfortunately it makes for a conflict of interest with having a retailer involved and much harder to take gear discussion seriously.

1 Like

Maybe they should call it the ā€œOut of Stockā€ podcast or the ā€œSpecial Orderā€ podcast to fit the theme of their website. :joy:

1 Like

it was the episode where they discuss brakes - Episode 44

I have been enjoying the Pinkbike podcast.

I like their news coverage, I like the podcast. But I have to ignore the comments section.

4 Likes

I am also a big fan of the PB PC. Might be the largely parallel riding history I share with Levy a bit, but I find their viewpoints to be very refreshing and extremely on point within the scope of equipment / industry in particular. I think they are head and shoulders above many other casts in their approach and understand of the topics they address. 100% recommend for any MTB riders.

6 Likes

I especially enjoyed Levyā€™s conversation with Richard Cunningham & actually, anytime they have him join in, itā€™s a treat!

3 Likes

RC is gold anytime heā€™s on the show, but that double episode was just amazing for meā€¦ since I lived the entire era (got into MTB in 1991) and furiously digested MBA mag for years from then. He is sure an interesting guy with one heck of a history in the sport.

3 Likes