I don’t understand what is confusing. Some Legacy users have said they would be willing to give TR more money. Nate has said he has 2 options for them to do that (pay current rate or pay current rate minus a discount) if they want to. He has also said if you don’t want to give more, you don’t have to.
I guess I didn’t read every post in the thread so I don’t know when/where Nate laid that out. Partial messaging is what’s confusing. when people quote part of a post and the full picture is not laid out.
So to be clear, the options offered are focusing on how Legacy users can choose to support TR through three different fee structures, but there is no differentiation on what features/capabilities they receive regardless of their choice on payment level?
OK, so I finally decided the scroll through this thread since it was reinvigorated two weeks ago. I had been avoiding it since pricing changes tend to elicit emotional response and … I wasn’t disappointed, unfortunately. Is there a TLDR version of how prices are (may be) changing for existing users? The TR website just has $190 USD/year or $20 USD/month as the two options. (I’m just looking for facts - no opinions.) Thanks.
Maybe i’m being dense, but what is the reason someone on Legacy pricing would not Opt out? Just to pay more voluntarily? Or is there some penalty for opting out that I’m not seeing? Seems like it could be no different than today except for perhaps there may be a price increase for new users that would add another layer to the legacy pricing.
Logically…no reason at all…however some legacy users have expressed an interest in paying more to help support TR, so this option will now be available.
I see a few reasons for a legacy user to not opt out of the price increase, in no particular order:
They would rather pay more than they ‘have to’ to support further TR development.
They are ambivalent and don’t bother to take the steps to opt out.
They feel like asking for continued legacy pricing is taking advantage of a good intentioned promise that could not feasibly be kept forever.
They are completely unaware of the change for an entire year, and therefore don’t opt out because they either don’t know about the price increase or don’t know they have the option to opt out.
My guess would be that the vast majority of subscribers at a discounted legacy price have no idea that “Nate promised” to never change this. Unless you listened to particular episodes of the podcast or read a few specific threads on the forum, you would not know about this. I don’t think that any language on the website pricing or terms and conditions said that your price will never increase. (Someone please correct me if I am wrong on this.)
Ah of course! I just think of it as the $99 USD price point, or maybe even there was a $129 or whatever the price sat on for a very long time before the massive jump happened and everyone started complaining about the legacy pricing thing.
I can’t even fathom the price is now $189 and that might one day be considered legacy pricing
I joined due to legacy pricing. At the time @Nate_Pearson announced on the podcast that a price increase coming. I had been thinking about joining and this made me push the button.
FWIW, just renewed for another year, my legacy pricing is locked in until Oct 2023. So I think that means I can watch this unfold and have a clearer picture of what options I have before needing to make my next decision.