There are no plans to put people into different product buckets based on what they paid. I talked about that a while ago, and people reeeaallly didn’t like it, so we scrapped the idea.
There are no plans to nerf your experience. You aren’t having any features taken away or locked out of any future features.
Thanks for the reply @Nate_Pearson. I’ve read all your recent replies on this thread and from those didn’t have a clear understanding of what your plan is. I think that once you have a settled plan that clearly communicating that is key to reducing speculation and incorrect information spreading.
Apples to Oranges.
Netflix dont remove functionality, maybe ultra HD, but the content is still there for all to use… use the resolution is different…
Spotify charges differently for family account vs individual account.
Microsoft have this… and its confusing AF!
Thanks!!
The plan is to have two different opt-outs:
- Stay on your legacy price
- Get a 15% discount going forward (middle ground - a few people mentioned wanting this as an option)
The worst case for us would be that legacy people think they HAVE to pay more, then cancel. ![]()
We’ve decided on the opt-out because a lot of people (tens of thousands in our estimation) don’t mind paying an extra $5/month or so.
But we also want to recognize that there is inflation/economic pressure and any change in price is too much for some people. We want them to be still able to use TR.
And some people can pay more but just want to have the honored promise, and I think I’m still keeping it this way by not forcing anyone to pay more.
I also think the year-long grace period to opt out is enough time for someone to see the change and take action. And even if you go a bit longer than a year before you notice message me directly and we’ll talk.
No matter what people’s choices are, they will still have the same features. The next big ones are production AI FTP Detection (including automatic detection), scoring outside workouts (so freaking cool!), and Adaptive Recovery (redlight/greenlight).
How will that work with annual subscription? Anyone on annual plan only pays once a year (so unlikely to notice a rise until year’s time anyway)?
Will this be ongoing? So for example, in 2025 the price increases to $229, can current users opt in to that 15% discount (and ongoing)? Which in this case would mean you wouldn’t generate much more from users of course.
Im totally confused
They will have a year once they are charged.
So 365 days after it shows up on their credit card statement.
The way I understand it is that you will continue get all the improvements ![]()
Thanks Nate - this is honestly much more generous than I expected. Let me try to restate this in bullet points to make sure I got it right.
- No product differentiation coming, there will still just be a single full-featured version of TR, regardless of pricing. (as it is right now.)
- At some point in time (TBD), all subscribers will move to being billed at the current rates.
- Legacy pricing subscribers who do not want to pay current prices can opt out of the pricing increase and either maintain their legacy pricing or go with a 15% discount on current pricing. The 15% would continue indefinitely, but is not a forever promise.
Quite frankly, to me this is not ending legacy pricing, but just making people ask for it. I think this a very reasonable way to handle this transition to more consistent pricing.
One suggestion I would have, as I think some of what causes tension regarding the legacy pricing is that there is this ‘special status’ that new subscribers don’t have a way to join. If the 15% discount was available to all ‘long term’ subscribers, say people who have subscribed continuously for 3-5 years, I think that would be more equitable. Legacy pricing subscribers could get this pricing ‘early’, but it would be open to all subscribers based on subscription length. Not sure if this makes business sense, but it sounds nice ![]()
This is meant to be sarcastic and not to be taken seriously
Nate could always step down as CEO and have a monkey take over to raise prices, bc the legacy pricing “agreement” was as long as he is CEO.
Then all the non-legacy pricing people will be just as unhappy as the legacy pricing people and everyone would be on the same price.
Thus Nate is able to stay true to his word and also make more money for TR so they can develop features faster so everyone wins
This whole thread is wild to me when you figure that the cost differential between standard legacy pricing and current new user pricing is about the same as a decent cassette and a years subscription to the product cost about half of the pie plate monstrosity on my mtb.
Hard for me to imagine being willing to put in the hours to get value out of the product and having ~100usd be a deal breaker.
Edited to say that I haven’t always had an extra $100 and can respectfully sympathize with anyone struggling to make ends meet while enjoying the sport. My point is that cycling is an expensive hobby in terms of time and money and TR at either price point is something that I see as a good value.
I am thick in the head and at times have trouble following along.
So what I am understanding is that I can pay the legacy pricing forever. I can opt in or opt out and I will always have the same trainer road experience as everyone else. My experience will never be nerfed.
OR
I can choose to pay more because I want to pay more for the sake of paying more and Its the right think to do?
I believe I am missing something… What am I opting out of? Am I just opting out of a price increase or am I opting out of FUTURE features and a price increase?
If I am opting out of a price increase but also feel that I can afford to pay more but not the amount for the opt in would I be allowed to pay more? For instance I mentioned over 1000 messages ago $129.00 a year or $177.27 CAD.
Here are my issues.
-
This is a matter for legacy members. Not newer members and not wahoo or zwift members. Great to get opinions on what people should do when its not their money and not their business. For instance I have never asked anything about members that started with trainer road in say 2011 and got legacy pricing then. This whole thread should have been dealt with privately. This created situations of envy and of targeting. I am offended that I was placed in a position that I FEEL that I have to defend what I pay for TR… IT WAS NOT my idea for legacy forever pricing! However it was my CHOICE to FEEL that I have to defend what I pay for TR.
-
I am confused.
-
The USA is not the be all and end all of the cycling world. This pricing change is affecting your some of your “Athletes” in many different ways. In 2011 the CAD exchange rate was 1.011. Now its 1.37442. That is a huge difference. For American users that don’t get it. This means Canadians are now paying 28% more for ALL of the exact same goods you are because of the 49th parallel. Not TR’s issue or anyone else’s. But this applies to the rest of the world. So that $5.00 a month is now $7.80 a month for an Aussie. This is not for just TR this is for everything that we consume to survive.
In the end TR and myself will make the best decision for ourselves. I believe Nate is trying to make the best choice/compromise for TR and its structure. I do respect Nate and how he has communicated on this issue. This is a difficult topic to discuss especially in an open forum where so many people have a stake or think they have a stake in the final outcome. Everyone has an opinion and pretty much everyone is wrong and many people may be unhappy.
At the end of our days it just wont matter!
I am not trying to offend anyone. I just have less of a filter than a lot of people.
I agree. Normally its not always an issue.
I was attacked by a dog at work. It bit my dick and did a fair bit of damage. Then I was attacked at my work for getting bit on the dick, I was humiliated, shamed and ridiculed. Management did not investigate, file a workers comp claim or do any paperwork. I have a statement from the dog owener stating exactly what happened! Now my work is denying that I even got bit as they need to cover their asses and need to find a fall guy. Well the fall guy is me. Because of the situation I have been placed on long term disability and in total I am bringing in 63.70 a day or $1900 a month to provide for a family of 3 in our house and I have 2 girls away at University. My wife who has a great job has long covid with no benefits so she is making nothing. Our income is less than 1/3rd of normal.
Its a bit of a shitty situation that I did nothing to bring upon myself other than I turned my head on a client and their dog. But as crappy as it is things could always be much worse.
I am fortunate that I worked hard and saved when I was younger. Right now we are subsidizing with our savings.
I am also fortunate that this situation will hopefully be temporary! Many others are having much bigger issues and struggles.
I also see TR as a good value… But I see having enough money to buy plane tickets to get my girls home for 2-3 weeks at Xmas as a much better value. Without that this sport ain’t wort a shit.
Going to leave now. In the end this whole topic is stupid and I am kind of ashamed that I have spent this amount of time on it. I think I have been fighting so much for my rights at work I have lost a little bit of a connection to reality. Reality sucks!
@Nate_Pearson would be interesting to know what percentage of users are still on the legacy pricing (totally understand if you don’t want to share that though), I hope the company has been looking at the numbers at least.
Personally I think switching everyone to a discount percentage would be a much better model than the legacy thing. I don’t think it’s fair to be crucified over it if you did change your mind on that, but totally up to you.
The whole reason the legacy pricing debate keeps coming up though is because we don’t know how many users it is. If it’s 50% of the user base then it is most certainly affecting prices for new users, which arguably will be slowing growth / you’ve got an artificially overpriced product on the market. If it’s 10% of users then it’s not probably not really having a big impact on the price.
You could argue that 100% of users are on legacy pricing as currently everyone is protected from future price rises. The day prices rise then 100% of current users will be benefited, but even now there is a budgeting benefit from knowing price is fixed.
@Nate_Pearson is saying there is no separation of their product based on price and that you will have three choices for price - each of which will give you all current and future functionality
- Continue paying your legacy price
- Pay a discounted price based on current price
- Pay current full price
I believe the middle option is closest to your request - although not a direct match
What’s not clear to me is what a person gets now and in the future for each of these pricing models.
I’ll just quote myself - although if @Nate_Pearson wants to chime in to confirm it might help
So you get all functionality now and in the future regardless of which of those three you pick