Leftover candy as fuel on bike?

Low turnout for Halloween and I have a lot leftover. Does it make good fuel on the bike?

If wrappers not too fiddly, I’d be using it!

1 Like

That’s what I always do with it! Figure if not “good” then at least consuming it during a workout is “least bad”.

3 Likes

10 Haribo gummy bears = 1 gel

10 Likes

Mini Kit Kat is a gel. Lol

4 Likes

Go for it. My go to fuel is jelly babies :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I am shocked at the nutritional advice being given here. Just shocked.

How could you?

Horrible.

Just downright dangerous.

Just because it is sugary, loaded with fats and carbs, doesn’t make it good cycling fuel.

Send me the leftover Halloween candy, I’ll make sure it is properly disposed. :slight_smile:

said between chomps and mouthfuls of Snicker’s bar.

19 Likes

What’s this on the bike nonsense? :wink:

1 Like

With covid and all, we ended up with sooo much leftover candy, so I’m tracking with this thread, haha. But in all seriousness, is the fat content of a lot of candy an issue?

1 Like

Depends how much of it you eat.

And it’s probably not ideal for fuelling a long ride. But it’s also a lot better than nothing.

A handful of something nice on a 2 hour ride, along with a few other ‘better’ things, will do you no harm at all, maybe (maybe) unless you’re at the kind of 5.5w/kg marginal gains end of things.

Poor planning. Did you not buy the Halloween sweets with the idea in mind that you might get to eat them?

2 Likes

Some sports nutrition is jest over marketed/engineered candy, so go for it! Especially since you might fuel better since it tastes good.

2 Likes

Absolutely! I’m pretty low-budget, so I use a lot of gummy candy, fruit snacks etc for my everyday trainer sessions.
Couple of caveats though- I’m not sure how it stacks up in terms of glucose/fructose, so not ideal if you’re shooting for a really high carbohydrate numbers. I personally don’t have any issues at about 50-60g/hour though, so I wouldn’t worry too much at more moderate intakes if you’re otherwise okay with solid foods. You’ll also have to cover your hydration/electrolyte needs separately.

…maybe having a bulk bag of sour worms instead of maltodextrin says something about me as a cyclist, haha.

2 Likes

Well I normally impose a 20% income on the kids :joy:

1 Like

Only if you eat more than 10 per hour

1 Like

fill up that top tube bag with candy corn.

2 Likes

Leftover? I intentionally buy Swedish Fish for trainer fuel.

6 Likes

Trader joes Scandinavian Swimmers are what I go for these days!

3 Likes

Yes, absolutely. In fact, I buy gummi bears and the like to have more variety.

2 Likes

Even DCRainmaker uses Haribo gummi bears as fuel! Funny how he mentions he consumes a bit too much…

2 Likes