Lactate Testing - Data and Results

That test does not work for me. My lt2 is approximately 8 mmol, abd it takes almost 20 minutes to get up there.

1 Like

A good question. I consider lactate testing of well known friends to be extremely low risk. I only test one person at a time and they are all in good health. I’m the only person handling materials and have been trained in GLP and wear PPE. The amount of blood is also extremely small.

Importantly, every item which touches the blood of another person is single use: test strips, lancets (*), swabs, etc.

(*) There are multi-use lancets but that type should never be shared between different people. I only buy single use lancets. One stab and the lancet is done and tossed.

A little bit of thinking and precaution and unlikely to have a problem.

Hope that helps.

-Darth

1 Like

The Secret Pro has an LT1 significantly higher than my best ever VO2max power (5 min effort at 330w a time when w/kg was around 4.2)

Posting the graph from Alan’s twitter:

2 Likes

Parallel storyline for AC’s post :grin:

2 Likes

Pretty sure this is what got me blocked…

2 Likes

OT, but it’s amazing how sensitive and “chip on the shoulder” some of these guys are. You’d think they were curing disease (*) instead of pushing up aerobic capacity a fraction for weekend warriors.

Of course we all love these discussions and the hobby and dialog. But as a scientist I can’t imagine un-tweeting someone for sharing a comment or an alternative perspective. As long as it’s done within reasonable discourse, dissent in discussion is welcome!

(*) I admit my strong bias as to how I rank and judge stuff.

-Darth

1 Like

I’ve got mixed views on this. Yes agree open discussion and airing opposing views is a good thing on forums such as this, however he uses Twitter, I think, as a marketing tool by dispensing free advice based on his beliefs and experience. He is not interested in people coming on and challenging his view and arguing with him. The simple way which involves little time and effort on his part is to just block them.(after all time is money as far as he is concerned as it is his living). I have a certain amount of sympathy for that view.

2 Likes

Another twist!
https://twitter.com/AnnaKiesenhofer/status/1528747532951732226

5 Likes

So is AK the Olympian with high base lactate values which got NH blocked?

This AC talk of elites have to have lactate values at/below 1mmol always makes me wonder about these 16 elite marathon runners:

Just as NH said, there is quite some variability.

And I also wonder if AK meant AC with this, not the first time I got the impression:

1 Like

NH added this to his tweet.

the Olympian medalist. not a puncheur or so

2 Likes

I’d guess the Olympic Medalist is Rohan Dennis, whom Neal coached for a long time (I think they parted ways recently?).

1 Like

Quite plausible. And quite interesting given that he’s a super-diesel-domestique. Isn’t this potenial Ironman material? Makes this strict 1mmol talk even more unrealistic.

2 Likes

Some thoughts (though I don’t think I’m telling you anything you don’t know :slight_smile: ):

1. With respect to the Norwegians, the very low lactate values could be a result of “what is measured improves”, but I think we have only partial information on how they actually use lactate.

2. It’s also likely that since even a diesel-type domestique cyclist needs to be able to produce very high wattages for short periods of time, they are unable to lower their lactate curves as much as someone training for an Ironman.

3. As a corollary to the above, it might be interesting to compare Blu and Iden’s lactate curves now with what it will be leading up to the 2024 Olympics.

4. Lactate curves are protocol dependent. Not just step lengths and heights, but also when does the test stop - it may not be important to get maximal values, depending on what they are doing to the data, so the curves are not necessarily comparable.

5. I decided to look at the show notes from AC’s 2019 interview on TTS. He advocated that AGers spend the bulk of their training time near AeT (sound familiar?). He also said that he doesn’t count recovery sessions as training (though he thinks they are important), which I only note because he was recently piling on another coach for saying the same thing.

Results from my latest garage lactate test below. Heart rate was higher than usual due to the garage being above 80f during the test so I won’t use it for training, I know what is normal for these wattages. Seems like my zone 2 work should aim for the range of 210 to 230 but what say you hive mind?

Baseline: 1.3 sitting
Date Watts Lactate HR
6/10/2022 150 1.2 128
6/10/2022 170 1.3 131
6/10/2022 190 1.2 136
6/10/2022 210 1.1 143
6/10/2022 230 1.6 150
6/10/2022 250 2.3 155
3 Likes

Yep,this is pretty unambiguous

1 Like

my meter is inbound. any analysis software to plug numbers into? or just excel and a graph?

1 Like

Base endurance work 200 or lower. Aerobic Threshold riding at 210-230W.

2 Likes

exphyslab.com is very good. It will identify a whole range of thresholds for you

1 Like

Same. Finally tested after a few days back on the bike…not “off the sofa” but pretty close to it. I think I have good data here to work with and at least its a starting point.

1 Like

My mmol concentrations are super high it seems when I feel just fine. Its weird.

1 Like