Kolie Moore's FTP test protocol

Not sure what you mean. As a relatively new cyclist with ~4 years experience, my FTP moves up and down a good bit. And I’m someone that in first 8 months of cycling did a ton of long segments right at FTP and have a good feel for MLSS/FTP despite not having been lactate tested. Like a lot of things in life and sport, developing a feel for riding at FTP is a skill anyone can acquire. Go out and do it, and get your brain in touch with how the body feels.

:+1: Last night I listened to Kolie’ Watts Doc #14 podcast and the one before it. I’ve heard others talk a bit about this stuff, interesting to hear a fresh perspective on the topic. Looking forward to the next EmpiricalCycling podcast :smile:

1 Like

@DarthShivious Are you doing your own lactate testing? If so, what protocol do you use? I’m surprised that self-testing lactate isn’t more popular given that a lactate meter is about as much as a power meter. (strips extra, which do add up.)

What I mean is the people I’ve tested, their MLSS at certain times of year match up well with their on road (or on trainer) FTP results and at other times their FTP is lower than what their physiologic MLSS is. Suggesting that they are riding at a lower FTP than the individual’s physiology, as defined by an MLSS test, would suggest. So, if people use a definition that MLSS = FTP then at times when their FTP is much different from what the MLSS suggests, they are potentially underperforming.

For myself and these test subjects, we use long tests (20 min) and 40 km TTs to define “FTP”. So not some short test that can under or over report.

I was very surprised to get that result for myself. I was not training well for a long period due to a serious injury. When I did an MLSS the result was bang on where it should have been based on my 40km results from just before the injury. I was then even more surprised to see the same result on several of my pals.

One guy, despite being redlined mentally, actually never went over his MLSS in the test but could not pedal harder. I’d always suspected he failed mentally before physically. At least based on what I thought he should be able to do in races (really good friend).

I don’t want to make a big deal out of this and I have a very limited set of data (but more than most probably). My big take, for myself, was that my FTP potential, as defined by MLSS was something I was hitting and it didn’t move much based on different training. My internet in sharing is to better understand the data and, of course, find a way to push it up :slight_smile:

Yes. Here is the thread: Lactate Testing - Data and Results

I’d love to have someone stick me so I didn’t have to do the on/off thing, but it seems good enough and my results are consistent with 10+ years of power data and various FTP and other power tests.

Again… not claiming to have this perfectly sorted and hope you guys enjoy the data and discussion!!

Testing cost, excluding the meter is about 20-25 bucks per session. Given what a lot of us spend on this hobby, its not that much of an expense.

Mark

2 Likes

I do enjoy reading about it, but I’m chicken and hate getting poked with needles. So I bought WKO and do max efforts when I want a good FTP estimate.

2 Likes

Recently I have bought a lactate analyzer for lactate balance point testing and had to self administer the test too. I find that it really helps to have everything right beside me so that I don’t need to jump off the bike to lance and get the blood sample. In terms of data input, I just do it after the test by matching the time stamp on the lactate analyzer and TR.

1 Like

Which analyser did you get?

Also how does the lactate balance point relate to MLSS or LT1? Thanks

I got the Lactate Pro analyzer.

Based on my understanding MLSS and LBP are very similar, but their testing protocol is quite different. Potentially MLSS test protocol might be more accurate as it is done over a longer duration, however I have done the research to confirm that.

The LBP testing protocol that my coach had me doing gives him power/HR at MAP, LBP and threshold which is pretty useful for setting training zones. He will also schedule some testing workouts to validate the results from the test.

For LT1/LT2, it seems harder for a amateur athlete to self administer as it might take some experience and knowledge to determine the inflection point.

Just for reference, my blood lactate at LBP is ~4.1mmol/L which is traditionally considered as LT2 or threshold?

2 Likes

Thanks. So does your your LBP align reasonably closely to your threshold then?

I just did an FTP test following the protocol last weekend. Total test time was 48 minutes. I think a key point that Kolie mentions is learning to understand what FTP feels like- breathing rate is steady (not ragged) but high. Legs should slowly fill up as test goes on. I was within a few watts of what I estimated FTP was. I find long tests are instructive in learning what FTP feels like.

4 Likes

That’s where things gets a little confusing.

For me, power at LBP works out to be ~84% of FTP derived from a TR ramp test. During a testing workout to validate the test results, I was holding LBP power for 30 mins non stop and my coach was pretty satisfied with the results, with HR in the correct range and minimum heart rate drift. It felt pretty much like tempo pace, something I can do for a fairly long time.

Threshold power derived from the test was closer to 94% FTP that is derived from TR ramp test. I haven’t done any validation test for threshold power yet, but experience, it should be something that I can hold realistically for 40-50 mins perhaps.

So, when you guys are doing the progression 1 tests, you’re setting them up as a custom and then manually working out the average for the core part of the work out? Correct?
Is this the FTP or do I then need to multiply by a factor?
TIA

It wouldn’t be that manual with performance analytics. Just drag the blue bars to the points needed and TR spits out the info. You can also save it as an interval. I bet if you use a custom workout then PA already recognises the work interval so it’s only a single click.

1 Like

Thanks, and it’s at 100% for the result factor?
I just don’t want to do a strenuous test only to find I miss something and it becomes wasted!
I usually do the 20 minute test…

As is stated in the article:

Your FTP will be equal to the average power of the entire test

See link…

1 Like

I’m interested in giving this a try, does any one have a link to one of the workouts they’ve created? Thanks!

Custom workouts can’t be shared unless with members of a ‘team’, as far as I know.

1 Like

That is true. But it’s easy to create a Team (anyone can do it), and make joining automatic.

In that case, anyone’s welcome to join my ‘team’ and use my version!

http://www.trainerroad.com/teams/1628-team-gold

12 Likes