Kickr power loss during workout

Can anyone explain to me what is happening in the workout image.

Sometimes, but not consistently, my Kickr loses power reading during intervals but my cadence is active and recording as shown in the image.

I thought this might be due to the “power floor” effect where the spinning freewheel is not keeping up to the flywheel inertia.

The Kickr and the Wahoo RPM sensor are both connected via Bluetooth to an iPad. I have not noted this problem using my Kac but I don’t use it often.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

contact TR support and ask, they have access to additional information. It could be something like interference between iPad and Kickr, or something else.

Hey there!

The issue that you are experiencing here is due to a “dropout” of signal. This can happen for a variety of reasons, but distance or interference between the sensor and your device are the most common. To learn how to minimize dropouts, check out this article from our Help Center :slight_smile:

If the issues persist, don’t hesitate to reach out to our Support Team at support@trainerroad.com for further troubleshooting.

Cheers!

There was another thread similar to this. It could be that your Wi-Fi is drowning out the kickr signal. I had this problem too but solved it with a cheaper crappy wifi access point in my garage instead of my good, modern one i was using before.

I had a similar problems a few months ago. I started getting dropouts on every workout. It took me awhile to realize it was due to moving some wi-fi gear around, so a repeater was too close to the Kickr. So make sure any transmitter (wifi repeater, computer with wi-fi card, etc) is not too close.

Even after fixing the wi-fi issue, I would still get the occasional day of interence. I solved this secondary problem by buying an ANT+ usb key, and 6 foot usb extender. On those days, I just plug that up to my laptop and put the ANT+ receiver right next to the Kickr. For me, that was the brute force solution and it works every time.

Richard

Hey,
The problem continues and seems related to the large changes from high resistance watts to low recovery periods.

I have purchased a new 2018 Kickr so I’ll see if it happens on future workouts. If it does then clearly it’s an aid issue.

M

I filed several tickets with Wahoo about unexpected power changes in Erg mode, and after talking on the phone with Wahoo I understand that power is read using an optical sensor. For that reason they recommend keeping light and reflections away from the flywheel (use a dark mat, shut blinds if sun is coming in, turn off overhead lights).

To their credit, Wahoo eventually updated firmware for the 2017 Kickr (https://support.wahoofitness.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000067450-KICKR-17-Firmware-Updates):

KICKR '17 Firmware v3.4.67 - 27 June 2018

• Improved optical calibration for better functionality in various lighting conditions
  • KICKR CLIMB support added

and along with changes in my pain cave this has solved the problem.

1 Like

So basically, ride your trainer in the dark, with no light but the glow of your phone. Seems reasonable.

LOL, no, but Wahoo support specifically told me to turn off the overhead light as your shadow can affect the optical sensor readings. That and putting a black non-reflective mat under trainer solved the problem.

Picked up a 2018 Kickr and did my first ride last night. New Kickr is great. Very smooth. Quick resistance changes, no dropping power after sprints. I noticed the bigger flywheel immediately as soon I tried to accelerate. And it IS silent. No trainer noise even at 52 x 11 @ 110c.

I did not have any power drops after intervals on this ride as shown.
During the cool down I intentionally shifted from big ring to small ring to try and create the power drop, and I thought it did show a drop, but it’s not on the graph. So it’s not a problem for me anymore, but I still wonder why it was happening on my 2015.

Mike

v

1 Like

I don’t have a Wahoo but that is actually how I train in the mornings :smile:

Me too for the most part, because my basement is a cave. J jury find the “solution” from Wahoo to be a little bit absurd.

1 Like