KICKR Climb or Rocker?

I just got a Climb and have done 3 Zwift rides with it. I have not done a TR workout with it yet. Based on the description of how it is programmed, I suspect I won’t like the pitch control via power. It seems an odd connection to me, but I want to try it before I make a final call.

So, baring an epiphany in my first workout, I don’t think the Climb and TR make much sense together. I do like the idea that I can manually adjust pitch to mix up a workout. But I don’t think that is enough justification to get the Climb.

It makes perfect sense if you plan to use Zwift or another simulator with pitch control that matches the “road”. In my short time in Zwift, it has proven to be a fun accessory. I actually like getting into the drops on descents and pushing like you would outside. The constant variation is quite fun too.

As some may already know, I am one of the leading proponents of rocker plates. I made my first one around 3 years ago and have used one version or another since then. Long story behind it for those that want to learn. I may make a history post at some point.

When it comes to possibly picking a Wahoo Climb vs a Rocker Plate, here my quick thought (stolen from a FB post)

A Rocker Plate is active 100% of the time on the trainer. It adds comfort and more realistic motion the entire use of the bike. The payback is constant and rewarding the whole time.

The Climb moves, but only when on transitions between grades. Highly dependent on the particular course.

Having both is ideal and I am starting to see just how fun they are together. I have a few rides on my rocker and Climb setup and it is very fun.

But if I had to choose just one, the rocker plate wins by a landslide.

I’m happy to expand more for those that want. I will probably make a rocker plate post for a place to discuss them more.

Here is the new post:

3 Likes