Is there a place for long sleeve jerseys?

Definitely not rocket science that darker fabrics make you hotter - you can feel it in the sun on a hot day. I have a Voler lightweight long sleeve in a very light gray that I’m really liking. And, have spent a lot of time looking for light colored jerseys.

But, I think the color / heat thing isn’t in all cases. Take the Bedouin robe article above, basically it creates airflow, so heat buildup from a darker color doesn’t matter in that specific case. I think this could be the case with darker colored helmets when there’s airflow. I’m still in the white camp though because there are those scenarios you find yourself cranking slow up a hill in the beating sun…

I do have merino, but it doesn’t dry as easily as synthetic, so evaporative cooling isn’t as good. Definitely amazing in colder weather because it’ll keep you warm when wet (although synthetic insulations do that too - but you need the loft) and it also resists funk a lot better than synthetic.

1 Like

The beduin robes work well because they are loose fitting and create airflow underneath. You can also feel that on hot days ifyou compare wearing loose fitting clothes vs tight ones. But cycling clothing is tight so light colours that aren’t green are better then dark ones and as much exposed skin as possible from a cooling perspective…

agree - but there’s also an insulation component if you read the article.

I don’t necessarily agree. Darker skin absorbs heat too. I’ve started going with white, extremely lightweight / UPF arm sleeves in the heat and they help in bright sun (as well as not roasting your arms). Depending on the material, some lightweight synthetics are REALLY good at moisture transport and evaporative cooling.

1 Like

I think I’ve visited sites for all the recommended brands posted here but I am not finding any lightweight long-sleeved jersey with a high neck collar and a reasonable SPF number.
Wouldn’t SPF 30 be better for long rides in the summer?
Jerseys I found so far are rated 25 or 28 and all have a minimal collar or none at all.
Sun sleeves for arms and legs are rated SPF 50. Is it impractical to make a summer weight jersey to that spec?

Velocio has a nice ultralight long-sleeve with a collar, UPF30. I’ve worn it into the 30s (high 80s - 90s :us:), it’s my favorite jersey for warm weather.

Is there a place for long sleeve jerseys?

Yes, that place is called Trøndelag :norway:

1 Like

Rats. No Mens version.

something something turntables something

1 Like

:+1: Mine is Pactimo and NOT light grey. And a similar light colored Panache long sleeve jersey. Already riding in temps above 90F / 32C without issues. So much better than sun sleeves or slathering arms with sun screen. Going forward I’ll buy a new long sleeve summer jersey every year. For now I’m “hand washing” the two in the pool when I jump in to cool off after rides.

2 Likes

I really like the idea of the lightweight LS, live in Canada along the coast so hottest temps are high 20s, maybe 30 but getting along the water at times can bring a cool breeze or have fog roll in. Generally now I wear Castelli sun sleeves as even with sunscreen I found I would burn at the edge of my gloves or sleeves wear the sun screen seemed to rub off.
What I have picked up a few of is the POC Road Essential LS, I find their fit to be a bit baggy but buy them in XS and then get them tailored a bit further, whereas maybe in a racier brand like MAAP, I wouldn’t need to but I’ve picked these up for $80 on sale vs $250 for the MAAP ones.

Probably my favourite discovery though is the POC Essential Mid LS jersey, its not insulated with fleece or anything its just a thicker lycra material which I find is great for temps around 7-14 degrees, I find a traditional thermal LS way too warm for these temps, I also find rain capes too warm at these temps or gilets but this gives me some added warmth without causing me to cook on the climbs. I’m packing the SS and LS version and a SL baselayer for a gravel race today where its dark, cloudy, rainy and 9 degrees right now, if I choose the SS will wear sunsleeves.

I find for the actually insulated LS jerseys I have, like the Giro Chrono Thermal LS or Endura Jetstream are better for when temps stay below 10 degrees and lighter efforts (even at 7 degrees, they are way too hot for CX). I don’t reach for these insulated LS jerseys until things are too cold for my Gabba SS or LS (they are more barrier without insulation). So I essentially am using them as a light winter jacket. With full Bib tights, winter gloves and winter boots (Fizik Artica). I have a warmer jacket as well but by the time temps are that low its too cold to keep my hands warm even with gloves and barmitts.

2 Likes

I think this overstates the significance of colour

I think the importance of color depends on what your goal is. Broadly speaking, darker colors are better at absorbing UV rays (ie better for sun protection) but that absorption also makes them warmer. Lighter colors are cooler but less effective for sun protection.

13- 20°c ish for me. Look at ykyw on all express, basically Rapha but way cheaper!

1 Like

This. I go all long sleeves, pretty much all the time now. I get four benefits from it:

1. Cooling, especially on the road. When I sweat in the jersey the evaporative cooling effects are great!
  2. Sun. I don’t have to worry about sunscreen.
  3. Ticks. If I’m riding in the woods, no worries about ticks or other bugs getting into my skin easily.
  4. Dirt. Much easier to clean when I’m done with a ride by just taking off my clothes, rather than tracking dirt as it falls off my arms and legs…
1 Like