Is there a benefit to syncing historical rides into TR?

I am having some difficulty getting all of my historical activities synced from Strava to TR. I have approx 2k activities in Strava but many of them haven’t synced e.g. basically nothing from 2021/2022. I am wondering if I should bother trying to get it sorted?

I.e. if all my new outdoor rides are syncing okay from Strava to TR, is that good enough for TR’s algorithms to figure out how I’m doing? Or am I going to miss some benefit from having all the historical data available?

Thanks.

Welcome!

Offering a knee jerk reaction, but I recall Nate indicating during one of the AACC podcasts that TR’s algorithms generally weight recent performance over historical performance. Which makes conceptual sense - to me at least - when trying to determine things like current FTP.

If that’s all true, your historical data likely offers less value to TR’s AI tools, especially the further you look backwards. (The further in the past from now, the less valuable the data.)

That being said, it seems that most cyclists benefit from some sort of historical repository that allows you to track longer term trends, notably year over year comparisons and month over month. If that’s what you’re looking to do, I think Intervals.icu is terrific, although there is a little bit of a learning curve. I know a lot of people like Training Peaks. TR isn’t as strong at that kind of analysis. (That’s not really what it’s built for.)

Beyond that, if you’re just interested in cataloging all your data somewhere for the eventual day when your GPT primary care physician requests access in order to make a diagnosis, then Garmin Connect and Apple Health Kit work well. Strava is ok for this too.

To what you’re asking specifically, I would think you’d get most benefit from having all current season data in TR. How far back you go beyond that is your choice, but it will offer increasingly diminished value the further back you go.

1 Like

Makes sense, thanks! I have never considered comparing the cycling prowess of 2018 me vs 2024 me but that’s an excellent idea :+1:

I think that’s an ‘only if you want to’ thing. Again, it doesn’t really impact how TR uses your immediate-term data to set FTP and prescribe workouts.

I’m in only my third season of structured training, and it’s been helpful to use intervals,ico to answer questions like – how quickly is my training load accumulating this season vs. last seasons, where were my power numbers at this point in the season last season, etc.