Ironman Virtual launched

Eric Schlange is already advising people to enter a ‘double drafting’ Zwift event to get the speed benefits:

I’m not a “spirit of the rules” kind of guy, but in the absence of any actual rules I am already concerned about doing this right.

1 Like

I haven’t followed this closely, but they seem to have left it very “open” and allow bike stuff in particular via a wide range of options. That may be the goal in allowing more people to take part in different ways. But it also leaves it open enough for abuse. How they adapt from here will be interesting.

Tried a test ride of a short route simulation on my Wahoo Bolt (in resistance mode) and distance was accurate, so that’ll be my plan for the IM VR ride.

1 Like

How does Erg affect the distance reported?

If you set ERG to say 80% of FTP, and assuming you have a trainer that is capable of hitting the power target in the following situations, assuming 700 x 25 tire is 2105mm circumference:

• Pedaling in 50t x 11t at 90 rpm gives 409 rear axle rotations per minute.

• 2105mm x 409rpm = 860,945mm (861m per minute)
  • Pedaling in 34t x 28t at 90 rpm gives 109 rear axle rotations per minute.

• 2105mm x 109rpm = 229,445mm (229m per minute)
  • 861mpm / 229mpm = 3.76 times more distance in the high gear at the same power

So, HUGE is the potential difference with gearing changes in ERG.

1 Like

Oh good grief. Maybe I’ll do it in Zwift then, at least the numbers are based on power rather than revs.

1 Like

Yup, that is why TR and others (me included) are firm in their stance that Speed & Distance in ERG are not great.

But then if I go to Zwift everyone’s going to be doing it in a double drafting peloton - the opposite of what Ironman is about :sweat_smile:

I give up, I’ll just do whatever. Everyone gets the same “prize” anyway.

1 Like

When you’re in Erg mode, distance and power are completely unrelated. The distance reported will be based entirely on your cadence and what gear you’re in.

You could, for example, put it on Erg at 40% of FTP, put it in the 52/11, and “go” 35+ mph with trivial effort.

I have had a little play with this and they are applying some sort of checks…
I’ve never bothered setting the wheel circumference on the Drivo as speed and distance are meaningless when I’m training on power and not moving anywhere!

So my 74.8kph average on Tunnabora was too quick :rofl:

3 Likes

:rofl:

You just saved me an hour of my day! Many thanks. :laughing:

1 Like

5km done, bike started.

I’m on Zwift as Joe X, doing Tempus Fugit in case anyone else is

1 Like

Zwift just crashed twice so good job in recording TR as well!

——update——

So a bit of confusion at IMVC and it’s my fault.

Because Zwift (paired to pedals) dropped in and out and I watched the TR podcast for a while, that only recorded part of the ride. While I didn’t save it, my son went into the garage and clicked Save.

As above, I had connected my Garmin (which I’ve only used a handful of times before) to give me distances on my TR ride…all good except when the Garmin showed 90.1km I stopped the ride, not knowing my Garmin had paired to my pedals…not my trainer! The TR file (based on my Zumo) uploaded to Strava as 88km :scream::scream:

So I deleted the TR upload, spent half an hour getting my Garmin to talk to my iPhone, synched that into Strava…then saw my son had saved my Zwift file! Deleted that too.

Except IMVC had synched all the files immediately so now I have this to resolve…

You can explore your activities, it takes a bit of patience and refreshing (notice the domain and language change) that allows you to delete the activity (SUPPRIMER CETTE ACTIVITÉ)

I’ve just done Frissell +1 (and then 35mins extra ‘cool down’) - distance came out as 88.74km.
:roll_eyes:

Doh!!

How did you come to this page where you can delete an activity?

I think I just tapped the bad activities with errors in them. It took me to:

https://connect.sportheroes.group/

FB is lit up with people raging about technical trouble and cheating. People need to chill out😀

2 Likes

Okay well I’m done :trophy:

A bit of an anticlimax as there is no leaderboard displayed or ranking but still, I made the most of it and will open a beer to celebrate at our lockdown bbq later :slight_smile:

On my last run lap (around the block) I heard a cheer and a member from my running club was leaning out the window waving a club vest at me :smile:. Almost like a real IM finish.

5 Likes