🎉 🎉 Introducing Virtual Speed and Distance for Strava Workouts! 🎉 🎉

I tend to ride on the little chainring and a middle gear on the cassette in attempt to keep the chain as straight as possible. I suppose I will see this evening.

1 Like

Turned the new feature on and my first ride was Pettit for an easy spin. It worked as advertised and the distance on Strava seemed reasonable given the wattage. I’ll keep it on for a couple of weeks to see what it reads on some upcoming threshold and V02 max workouts.

In the end I’ll probably turn it off however. I actually like how Trainerroad workouts show up as zero distance on Strava and only track time. This way my mileage totals on Strava are road miles only. It’s just what I’ve gotten used to.

3 Likes

Looking forward to see how this works. Had been using my dumb trainer and powertap wheel and just switched to saris H3. The first thing I noticed was the lower speed and distance. I figured since being in small ring and middle gear it would make sense. But I’m always a person who looks at distance at the end of the year and try to outdo myself every year. So each ride at a shorter distance adds up. But I know it isn’t indicative of fitness and in reality I probably shouldn’t be looking at this at all.

On petit workout using dumb trainer 108w and 25.6km. Using H3 ERG mode, 118w and 19.42km. Will see this week how the new setting works out.

2 Likes

Update: It’s significantly more for me. My Strava totals will be so happy!

2 Likes

Ah, so it doesn’t get written into the FIT file, correct?

Please add the same feature for Garmin Connect.
It is a bit strange that the uploads in Strava and Connect are not consistent when you use this option.

2 Likes

Finally I don’t have to wear out my 55X11 to impress my friends on Strava.

3 Likes

Interesting. Does this assume a flat ride, rolling, hill? or “average” of this?

I lived in Holland before which was flat and fast. Now in Sweden where the landscape is hilly and
slower. Up Mt Ventoux I’m naturally slow. Thus speed data already only make sense in context.

1 Like

Per the FAQ above:

How does the Virtual Speed and Distance Calculation work?

• Virtual Speed and Distance uses your workout’s power data, along with average aerodynamic and rolling resistance values, to estimate the speed at which you’d have ridden your workout on relatively flat terrain outdoors.
3 Likes

Glad to hear that and thanks for using it!

My numbers so far mesh with that statement. Unfortunately the algorithm penalizes my recumbent a bit. (~ 1 mph at my power) But good enough for my purposes.

Correct, the FIT file that you download from TrainerRoad will contain the raw data recorded during the workout.

1 Like

It’s not available in the .fit file, it’s not available IN workout, I can’t find it in the post-ride trainerroad workout analysis.

I think the answer is no, but Is there ANY way to see the value without pushing the data Strava (something I don’t currently do because my TrainerRoad data doesn’t have HR data)?

well i continue to be mystified by what this update actually does. all i know is that today’s TR workout recorded 28.10 miles with an average speed of 18.6mph from TR itself. garmin recorded pretty much the same (28.06 miles, 18.6mph) and strava was way off (25.26 miles, 16.8 mph).

The calculation for Virtual Speed/Distance happens through the process of sending the workout to Strava, so Strava is inherently part of this feature and required for visibility of those values. This feature was built as a result of athletes’ requests to see more realistic and consistent speed/distance readings to count towards their totals, goals, and challenges reflected on Strava accounts.

Garmin Connect does not support the workout files used to produce Virtual Speed/Distance, so it isn’t an available option for us at this time.

2 Likes

I’m having trouble understanding what those words mean, because other platforms that use a physics engine like Zwift or RGT produce fit files that are compatible with Garmin Connect. Definitely understand if TrainerRoad chose to not support embedding speed/distance data into FIT files, but that is a TR decision and not a Garmin limitation.

1 Like

but it already does this. my trainer road workout is synced to garmin connect and on garmin connect it shows distance (28.10 miles) and all the speed stuff (avg, max, avg moving speed). does no one else see this on their garmin connect account after using a TR workout?

That’s the speed reported by your trainer or wheel sensor.

Maybe, but it’s recorded by trainer road natively and sent on to Garmin connect. Isn’t that what we’re talking about here? Or is this about using a dumb trainer and having the platform (strava I guess) figure out what that data should look like without having various sensor data from the smart bike to provide it?

I use the H3 as well. My distances on TR workouts are much lower than my zwift when I run them at the same time. Today was ~15 miles on TR and ~20 miles on Zwift Tempe Fuego.