Remove any speed/distance data?

Hi,

Is there any way, or any plans to be able to remove and speed and distance data recording on TR? I find it annoying that TR records distance. I like to track how many miles I’ve done but only in terms of outdoor rides. To avoid this I use TR on my phone put pair my Garmin watch to record power, cadence and HR only. I then upload this to the web.

If TR had an option to do the same it would be great.
Thanks

Rob

2 Likes

I’m interested in this as well.

When Trainerroad syncs my workouts to Strava it shows a distance for the workout which to me doesn’t make sense when doing an ERG mode workout on Trainerroad - time spent is a much better metric for this type of indoor workouts.

Anyone know an easy way to remove distance/speed from workouts done on Trainerroad synced to Strava?

2 Likes

Use this to your advantage. Put your bike in the smallest gear on the trainer so when it syncs it looks like you’ve been going really slow. Your Strava friends will see this and think “Huh, Wiley is looking pretty slow right now.” then when you are next out with them for a ride CRUSH THEM with your surprise power!

7 Likes

It depends on your power device - if you just use a power meter without a speed sensor or smart trainer you can get away with using TR and not recording speed data. However, we use speed data from a speed sensor to estimate power via VirtualPower, and a lot of the smart trainers on the market transmit power and speed in one package. Unfortunately, we don’t currently have a way to exclude those speed/distance readings even though we agree that they don’t make the most sense for indoor training. You could get crazy by editing the GPX file data, or just apply @SpencerStone’s suggestion. :wink:

1 Like

How strange, I never get any distance data but I guess it’s because I train on a Wattbike. I miss it as now my average speed for the year is around 20km/h as I spend equal time on the trainer and outdoors. I figured the whole time that it was a philosophical choice by TR, not wanting to give people inaccurate measurements of their workouts compared to outdoors.

I’d be keen to have the ability to amend the distance recorded in a TR ride, or to set it at X mph.

For example, 3 hours Z2 this morning recorded 73 miles according to Strava which is 24mph :thinking: at 200w on a pan flat road with no wind and low CDA it’s feasible maybe…

However my average speed for Tempo/Sweetspot/VO2 outdoors is usually 19-20mph at around 750-1000ft/15 miles.

As Strava factors the last 4 (or 6) weeks of ride speed data in to the ‘estimated’ moving time in the route creator, the otherwise previously very accurate estimate is now becoming overly ambitious as I complete more trainer rides.

Something for the TR Dev team to think about perhaps.

1 Like

just to bump this up I have the ability to zwift vs trainer road at the same time. zwift reports much lower mileage.

I like to track distance as it’s a year on year comparison before power meters etc. at the moment I delete the zwift workout from Strava and keep the trainer road one.

I also use garmin connect as primary focus and Strava for social so could keep the trainer road in GC for the metrics.

thoughts anyone?

https://www.fitfiletools.com/ have a field stripper I’ve used occasionally to remove faulty or rogue data but I would t want the hassle of doing it for every workout file.

1 Like

If you care about “mileage” from training:

1. Keep the Zwift ride. It uses the power, your size and weight info, and the course to calculate the speed and distance traveled. It is likely to be the estimate with the most chance of accuracy and consistency.

2. If you train in ERG, and want to keep your TR workout, make sure to use the same gearing for all workouts. This will make the “distance” covered consistent from ride to ride and year to year.

• Note that you can make that “distance” vary greatly by using high or low gearing. It one reason that distance from a trainer in ERG is largely frowned upon.
1 Like

If you’re using Strava to compare distance year on year, you can classify your workout as a ‘virtual ride’ which will then allow you to exclude or include virtual rides from your yearly total

(Also helps if you’re using the Stravistix extension for chrome)

soooooo.

if I make the gears easier to the point where it is close to the zwift distance. its probably only a couple cogs up the block?

Maybe, but you have to realize that in ERG, the distance is effectively fixed by pure number of revolutions.

In Zwift, it is taking your rider data, power data, and course data, and setting a speed & distance. If your ride in a flat or a hilly course, you will likely travel difference distance.

Essentially, you may get the Zwift and TR distance to match, but that will be the exception, not the rule.

The last few rides I notice that the conversion to Strava is considerably lower for mph. Last month or so rides were at 24-25mph and this week rides are in the 16 range. I may have moved the gearing one notch - would this make that much of a diff. Using ERG mode all the time. Thanks for input. Just curious really.

Yes, in ERG you get the power target, but the gearing will dictate the “speed/distance”.

So, if you use a faster or slower gear, you will get a corresponding change in the “speed/distance” reported. It’s the reason that the metric is essentially flawed and not really useful when using ERG mode.

Interesting. I didn’t want to use TR until they added speed/distance data. For the longest time, there was no speed/distance on TR workouts; it’s a new feature.

It’s been there all along, again as @larry said

and

I see. This is the page I read some time ago and took it as meaning there was no speed data. I did 1-2 workouts and found there was no distance/speed on the workouts when they were uploaded to Strava.

I guess I was just missing pairing a speed sensor all along. I could have sworn speed/data was not going to Strava etc and this was latter added. Hmmmm

Hmmm, that must have definitely been a setup thing, then! While we aren’t big on speed + distance, we never removed speed data or hid it. It’s definitely been there all along. :sweat_smile:

My kingdom for the day TR stops displaying these metrics in a completed workout upload to Strava. I get that the data needs to be recorded, but it would be amazing to have it never displayed.

I also wish for Strava’s analysis pages on the app to default to time on the x-axis instead of distance on indoor/virtual rides… /sigh

And my cold to go away so I can train again…

And world peace.

So much wishing!

i think it would be great if trainerroad had an option to scrub the speed before it’s posted to Strava.