šŸŽ‰šŸŽ‰šŸŽ‰ Introducing Outside Workouts! šŸŽ‰šŸŽ‰šŸŽ‰

Ditto. Built the workout in TP. Need to figure out the transfer to my Bolt, and then have some fun :smiley:

Iā€™ve heard this mentioned several times now with no response. @bnied, @Pete, @Nate_Pearson, @chad, @Jonathan, any plans to address this?

1 Like

As a Garmin user, one issue I see with this is that Garminā€™s live TSS is generally quite a bit higher than TRā€™s TSS calculation for the same workout even when the FTP is set correctly in Garmin. I donā€™t know why that is, but it does make it harder to know you have hit the right TSS target.

1 Like

ā€œLive TSS a bit higherā€ - havenā€™t noticed this, although I donā€™t constantly look at TSS during a ride.

After the ride TSS matches up well, for example my last 3 outside rides:

Wednesday 10 April

• Garmin 1:14:54 moving time / 75.9 TSS
  • TR 1:14:56 moving time / 75 TSS
  • on this group ride I went off the back to ride in zone 2, and looked a couple times at TSS as my goal was to keep it under 100. Didnā€™t notice a ā€œtoo highā€ TSS during the ride, and when finished the head unit was at 75 and thats what I saw after the ride on TR and Garmin Connect.

Sunday 7 April

• Garmin 3:18:57 moving time / 161.3 TSS
  • TR 3:19:05 moving time / 159 TSS
  • only looked at TSS a couple times mid ride, appeared normal

Wednesday 3 April

• Garmin 1:51:32 moving time / 145.7 TSS
  • TR 1:51:34 moving time / 143 TSS
  • didnā€™t look at TSS during ride

Garmin Edge 520 and Stages power meters (first with L-only gen2, and now LR gen3)

1 Like

Love this concept for sure - Iā€™ve generally been making cue cards to ride outside, however today I have Mallory +1 which is pretty confusing for outside. The swap for outside is Eldorado Peak which is below. My question for @chad @Nate_Pearson and team is, if Mallory is over under why not swap with a more simplified over under instead of 3ā€™ V02ā€™s? Love TR all around just trying to understand better! Stu

"Main Set:
3 sets of the following

• 3x3 minutes between 354-370 watts with 3 minutes easy between intervals.
  • Spin easy for 6 minutes between sets.
  • After main set, ride 40 minutes steady at 200 watts.

Interesting, thanks for the comparison. Maybe there was a hiccup with my FTP somewhere in the system, Iā€™ll make sure to check all the spots. Itā€™s also possible that this was partially because this was because these were sprint workoutsā€”where data interval differences in the way the data is recorded/processed etc. would have quite a significant impact.

1 Like

Iā€™m a little OCD about data, and havenā€™t noticed an issue between Garmin TSS and TR TSS. Only time there is a mismatch is when ftp differs between Garmin and TR.

After a TR ramp test I always forget to update Garmin ftp, and notice TSS mismatch after a ride or two.

Just built my first workout in TP. What a pain in the posterior. Head unit integration for my Wahoo canā€™t come soon enough!

3 Likes

The opposite would make you an outlier around hereā€¦

5 Likes

This is going to be great!!! @Nate_Pearson, at the moment do we have to first go into our Calendar in a proper browser to set a given workout to outside? In other words, can I not simply open the TrainerRoad app on my iPhone when Iā€™m getting on my bike outside the garage and cue up the dayā€™s Outside workout right then?

true dat!

2 Likes

My Garmin TSS was always higher than TrainerRoad TSS for outside rides UNTIL I realized that a privacy zone Iā€™d set in Strava was tricking TrainerRoad into thinking Iā€™d ridden fewer miles than reality. You donā€™t have that going on do you @cyclhist?

2 Likes

Ha!

Iā€™m not advocating for 1:1 inside:outside conversions. I think thatā€™s unnecessary and slightly crazy.

Iā€™m trying to understand why so many indoor workouts have wildly varied alternate versions when it seems as if the original inside workout could port directly over to outside execution unaltered.

And I wouldnā€™t even bother to pursue the question, except that I count at least a dozen other commenters in the thread asking the same thing.

1 Like

That would make sense, you basically vanish from the surface of the planet when you enter the privacy zone as far as Strava is concerned.

1. We havenā€™t decided this yet. As I said above we might have the same inside workout be available outside as well.

2. You can push piece meal workouts. This is just the beginning, weā€™ll expand the option for outside only workouts scheduled on the calendar.

3. Not right now. Weā€™re rebuilding the workout creator and I can see this being part of that.

There are no plans for audio queues (done by us) since we can now push workouts to Garmin and Wahoo.

Thatā€™s a good question, I donā€™t know the answer. Iā€™ll email Garmin and ask.

1 Like

For that, they are both working VO2 Max. We have finer grain control to match low vo2max with traditional vo2max but thatā€™s going to take a bit longer to do.

We donā€™t have plans to have multiple FTPs.