🎉 🎉 🎉 Introducing Adaptive Training! 🎉 🎉 🎉

Probably pyramidal.

2 Likes

Adaptive Training: The Right Workout. Every Time. - TrainerRoad

" Register for Updates and Priority Access to the Closed Beta" Seems pretty clear to me.

1 Like

Here’s hoping that trainerroad starts off with users across the spectrum of age, sex, fitness etc. I know many in my age group have struggled greatly with burnout on the previous programs.

My thinking is that if you took a course and a time/avg speed you could essentially covert the elevation changes into a series of intervals with power targets.

Really simplistically, my 3 hours Sunday bunch ride is a lot of sweetspot, with two long sustained threshold intervals, 2 VO2 max intervals (3-4 min), and ~6 short VO2 max intervals. There are recoveries between the climbs.

If you make the ride 3:30 it becomes a lot of endurance with a few tempo intervals.

I’mm sure this is more complex than it is to write about, but quite easy to imagine taking a FIT file and breaking the ride down to intervals with power targets. You could then compare your performance against prior rides… If your activity includes 4 x 4min at VO2Max then AT could give you credit for that progression level…

Obviously thinking on the fly :smiley:

:joy::joy::joy: apologies for the confusion- and yes being funny about three quarters of a percent difference between two power meters would be pretty anal :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

3 Likes

@JesseFortson / @SeanHurley : Will the workout categories “Productive”, “Breakthrough” etc. lock and reflect you FTP and fitness at that specific time (when you look back in your plan), on will they always reflect your current fitness?

1 Like

I’m kind of laughing at reading about FTP again, as personally I’m now so much more interested to see my fine-grained relative fitness, to see the small steps in each category. FTP just became a whole lot less interesting to me, and that feel like a very good thing.

I do understand FTP is still a global gauge, and therefore very very telling. And that a FTP increase/decrease immediately corresponds with a total rescaling of all little bars. But the fine-grained energy system progression will be so much fun/motivating that FTP as a single number becomes less relevant, and I think that will be very good. You could even stabilize your FTP (which tends to happen at some point) and keep playing with the energy systems. The new approach has so much potential for fun and inspiration.

1 Like

:dizzy_face:

Could someone of the beta group tell me what happens when I shorten the breaks between sets, will it register as pass, super pass or fail?

The cynic in me thinks this was a bit of a stunt to hush the Dylan Thomas video

That would be amazing. A multi-year effort, including marketing campaign, getting the AT 1 min video with actors done, get the website set up, all timed precisely because one YT video comes out. Now that’s planning :stuck_out_tongue:

Actually, the scale of machine learning and adaptive training is so much beyond the small SS vs Pol discussion I am wiling to bet the opposite. Dylan’s video came out, and the TR team was just laughing. “You’re wondering about this kind of stuff? Wait till you see what we come out with!” The scale is supernova up close vs a sunny day.

Of course SS vs Pol is relevant, and with the excellent team, huge dataset and the machine learning I’m confident that TR will crush it on a level beyond the small population studies we have now. Good times, amazing times are coming :slight_smile:

I’m very curious about detecting / preventing too much fatigue, I suspect that a lot can be gained there. To recognize if someone should train hard 2 weeks, take 1 week break, or can even do 4 or 5 weeks before a break week. Recognizing that on individual level with machine learning would be great. Can’t wait to feed my HR and HRV data to the system.

12 Likes

It also raises an interesting question for me about how I might use that information to ‘maintain’ fitness when I have less time available, or how ML might learn what is required (for me) to maintain fitness in a particular energy system(s).

Or they collaborated… hey Dylan fancy putting a dumb video out about everything you think is wrong with TrainerRoad just ahead of us making a massive product launch?
Wonder if he’s on the closed beta :joy:

5 Likes

To say they did this whole thing in response to the video is crazy but still very possible they pushed their timeline to be able to respond. This is a major change and there are lots of nice to have features they may have wanted to be more ready before release. This is a problem lots of software has where a release is mostly ready but still want some improvements before release so delay the release

@SeanHurley
IMO this post workout subjective input is a great addition. Cant remember if mentioned before but will you be able to tag/attached a RPE value to each workout (like in other apps, Garmin, Strava, TP, Intervals.icu etc?) and will subjective responses be visible to review in the calendar or work view level days, weeks, months later.

Also any thoughts on an option for pre workout subjective feedback, not for everyday or a something to be recorded by default, but for those potenial out of the blue off days, like pre workout, legs heavy, mentally not feel up for a hard session etc. Maybe prescribing an easier achievable workout.

Just thinking in some cases post workout survey is a bit reactive when in some circumstances a pre-active adjustment could be made on the day (not talking about trainnow). If the user goes ahead with the original session it would be interesting to see if they still nailed the session even though feeling a bit off their game and compareing the post workout survey. This could help spot those down stream issues when although you get through a session okay, there is an early indication that all is not well or even the opposite a case of HTFU (as subsequent sessions are successfully completed.

Keep up the great work, I appreciate this project could be never ending and is massive.

2 Likes

Buzzing for this, the more I read and learn about it, the more excited I get.

FTP is dead, long live the progress bars! :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

Bring back the FTP, it’s the only worthwhile measurement. :+1:

This opinion isn’t influenced at all by the fact I just achieved a PB and now have to start again with progress bars. :-1:

4 Likes

That’s if tr starts to use zones that aren’t based on percentage of ftp. They haven’t really clarified that yet (see my earlier comment on that) seems to me like they are just keeping track of how well you do in each zone and not redefining the zone for each person

Please do this

3 Likes

I’m starting Human Intelligence Adaptive Training while we wait :smiley: - I just struggled with but finished Raymond 4x5 at 108%. I failed Redlake +4 last week, 5x6 at 108%. I have Elephants next week, 6x5 at 108%.

Should I go down in flames with Elephants see how far I get, repeat Raymond with the aim of finishing without struggling, or find a 5x5 at 108%?

3 Likes

:wink:You should get @mcneese.chad to paste the progression for said workouts, look at the level you are failing at then start the progression at a lower level :slight_smile:

4 Likes