šŸŽ‰ šŸŽ‰ šŸŽ‰ Introducing Adaptive Training! šŸŽ‰ šŸŽ‰ šŸŽ‰

After playing around a bit, it seems that you cannot just schedule a TR outside workout in the past, associate it and have the outdoor ride be in the model? Perhaps only workouts that are part of a plan builder plan are eligible?

How far back are you trying to go on the calendar?

20 days. I didnā€™t consider that. Iā€™ll try something closer.

1 Like

Not sure itā€™s connected, but you can only edit survey responses within 7 days, so this might be similar.

1 Like

Correct. Ivyā€™s post also notes this is not retroactive. It is only forward-looking. She references that only under the second point, but based on what Iā€™ve seen with my account and levels I think it also applies to point 1.

1 Like

I wonder if that means the TR outdoor workout has to be in place before you do the outdoor ride? :thinking:

1 Like

That is probably safest, even if not fully intended to be so.

1 Like

A user above said they associated one to a Zwift ride after the ride had completed, so it should still work. I assume youā€™ll need to make sure the workout and the ride are similar enough for it to qualify. Youā€™ll then have to answer the survey. Iā€™ve only done this with workouts in my plan builder plan, so my experience with ad hoc isnā€™t as great and Iā€™m not certain of the outcomes.

2 Likes

Question - are progression levels meant to RESET and/or REDUCE after you take a ramp test?

I completed my ramp test a few days ago (+8.8% woohoo for me!), and straight after I was shown a screen with my ā€˜new progression levelsā€™ (which looked very similar to my previous progression levels).

But then I noticed this morning that they had all gone backward again - this screen shot is this morning.

Did something go wrong? Which progression levels are right?

I felt the same, and gotta be honest I was pretty put off by the marketing around it - the big announcement, hype on the podcast about it for weeks upon weeks, nearly all of TRā€™s branding changing to ā€œAT - the right workout everytimeā€ - for a product that didnā€™t really even exist lol.

About the timing of the release, who knows (unless it was posted here or discussed, I donā€™t follow as close at the moment) - I doubt it was pushed early due to that person you mention. Nate has a great business mind, from the things he posts here, to talking to him interviewing - nothing but respect for what heā€™s done and the decisions heā€™s made.
Iā€™ve built two successful SAAS businesses, and in my mind there is something positive to be said for ā€œlaunching before youā€™re readyā€, I donā€™t think thatā€™s a mistake, I do think building the hype where some users feel let down leads to posts like yours. So, i feel you.

Like Chad said though, once you step back from all that and realize it really has been BETA since the releaseā€¦ itā€™s just worth waiting until thereā€™s a reliable product. The plans still work :wink:

1 Like

Not in my experience. I do an outside ride, record it on Wahoo, upload it via Strava [breaking all the previously-suggested rules]. Then I check to see duration and IF and try to find a TR workout that approximately matches it. Schedule that workout for the day [outside version]. Then associate the outside ride with that workout.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s right - the difficulty of the workouts is relative to your FTP isnā€™t it so it follows that if your FTP is increased, your PLs will reduce correspondingly. Seems counterintuitive but it makes sense - I had the reverse experience when I set mine down after I got in; my PLs increased a lot after I reduced my FTP. If you think it through, if I was recently completing e.g., Sweetspot 6.0 at my old FTP, and I drop my FTP by a few %, it stands to reason that I should now be able to complete harder sweetspot workouts than I could manage at my old FTP. Vice-versa for increases.

Otherwise youā€™d go into your next block with a higher FTP AND workouts at your old PLs, which would be a recipe for failureā€¦ e.g., a Sweetspot 6.0 workout today at my new 285 FTP is going to be a lot harder than the same workout yesterday at my old 275 FTP. My fitness hasnā€™t improved overnight - I have just changed an arbitrary setting in the software. Hopefully an illustrative exampleā€¦

1 Like

Yeah thanks man, that makes heaps of sense. I think the confusion for me was that immediately after I completed my FTP test and accepted the new (higher) FTP, it showed me my new progression levels (first pic above), which I think was actually an error. For some reason it took a few days for them to reset back to 1.0 across the board.

No (& I see @michaelfrommelbourne has posted on this also):

This week I did an unplanned outside unstructured ride, just riding around with my pals. Just as a test, I then added a TR workout to my calendar, ā€œStanfordā€ a Threshold 5.0 WL, leaving it as the default ā€œInsideā€, and associated my outside ride with this workout.

• By doing that, I get credited with PL bumps (primary: Threshold, secondary: Sweetspot) from Stanfordā€™s workout levels.

• If I then remove the association by marking my outside ride as ā€œUnplannedā€, my PLs revert to what they were previously.

NB this was just a test to see how it worked. Associating a random workout with an outside ride in which the work you performed bore no resemblance to the workout associated with it is clearly not a sensible thing to normally be doing, as it could just lead to your PLs being hopeful/guesswork/nonsense with possibly little relation to reality. ie. No point in abusing this temporary functionality that TR has introduced (introduced as a stop-gap workaround until automated, accurate outside ride analysis is eventually implemented). For now, it makes sense to only use this association functionality as a means of gaining PL credit in situations where the outside ride you rode closely matches the workout structure youā€™re associating it with, else weā€™ll just be cheating ourselves. :wink:

2 Likes

The latest AT seems to have picked up everything I done last night (at least it let me assign surveys to the separate activities); the warm up on rollers, the ride to the start, the actual TT and cooldown. Its not assigned PLā€™s that are visible to me but talking to the TR staff about previous stuff it should be accounted for in the background AT algorithm.

Note that, for now at least, you wonā€™t receive PL credit unless you associate your TT with a (suitable!) workout.

1 Like

Yip, that was my understanding; it is there adapting AT (working), just not visible to me :+1:

I know youā€™ve had a chat with support, but still, I donā€™t think the above is correctā€¦

Adaptions (of future scheduled workouts) are driven off of your PL levels, hence if your PLs arenā€™t reflecting your outside rides (eg. because at present theyā€™ve not been associated with a workout that in turn trigger changes to your PLs) then that outside ride cannot itself drive any adaptions of your scheduled workouts.

What they may have been referring to is the TrainNow functionality which will note that youā€™ve just done a harder ride (regardless of whether you associated that ride with a w/o) and use that knowledge when ā€œRecommendingā€ your next TrainNow workout, ie. suggesting Endurance instead of the other two.

1 Like

Having asked me for a survey and then did adaption calculations after I think it might be but I cant say 100%. Support did say it was a brand new feature but its a constantly changing feast :+1:

It makes sense that PL should go down if your FTP goes up. There has been a lot of discussions around how much they should go down though.

It certainly seems like there COULD be a reclassification of the previous 1-2 weeks worth of workouts based on your new FTP. For instance, if I was doing 3x20 SS (say at 200w) workouts this week with my old FTP, but with my new FTP, 200w iss really more like Tempo, the backend could adjust my tempo PL to match a comparable 3x20 tempo workout from the library.

However, we know that the backend software isnā€™t smart enough to classify what work you actually did (otherwise outdoor rides would work w/o being associated with a workout), only what the WL prescribed to that particular workout.

1 Like