Interesting Study on the Effects of Sauna Use

Some interesting benefits of sauna use:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0531556521002916?via%3Dihub

Highlights

• Sauna use mimics physiological and protective responses induced during exercise.
  • Repeated sauna use optimizes stress responses via hormesis and heat shock proteins.
  • Sauna use appears to reduce morbidity and mortality in a dose-dependent manner.
  • Frequent sauna use may protect against cardiovascular and neurodegenerative disease.
  • Sauna use provides a means of preserving muscle mass and countering sarcopenia.

6 Likes

So that’s why the Sauna’s in Edinburgh are so popular (probably not safe to google :joy:)

I’m a big fan of steam rooms. I’m sure they have the same effects on the body

But what one to get that is actually decent for an acceptable price. My brother in law has one but it is like $12K (not joking) and a little too rich for my blood. It is really nice though as you can imagine.

Move to Finland where literally every house has a sauna. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

His might well be $12k, but that is definitely well above the benchmark for a home use sauna. You can get a 3-4 person unit that’ll hit 165 for $5k, and I’m sure there are quality products for even less. Also, if you trust a lot of the bulleted advertising of so many infrared companies, you can get all of the benefits at just 145 degrees or around there.

2 Likes

or ride outside in the heat of the day…

4 Likes

Love costco hilarious

Thanks will check it out