INSCYD test - thoughts on my results

Hi

I’m awaiting some further info and practical applications coming in the next few days but keen to get some info from this knowledgeable forum as I know there has been some experiences so far.

Quick scene setting.
Finished season on 20/10 (UK hill climbs), had a few decent weeks since then but mainly hit and miss and have added 2 kilos. Have just started SSBMV2.

Ramp test 291w (down from 311 early October) I think I’d hit 300W now after getting my legs going again, the INSCYD test bears this out.

Focus: Hilly 2 hour road race end of March 2020, then road races / crits before hill climbs (2 minutes to 5 minutes focus) Mid Sep to end of October.

My VO2max needs work, my VLamax is super low so also needs work. As I say more info is coming but keen to hear your thoughts on how to build for my race at the end of March. The terrain for that is essentially 3-4 minute climb, VO2 and over, into SS / THR / VO2 mix for another 4-6 minutes. After that it’s downhill and flat :grinning:.

Patrick Murphy MetabolicProfileReport-2019-12-03.pdf (1.1 MB)

Many thanks

Can you post your 2019 power PR graph from TrainerRoad please? (highest resolution, with Total selected)

I’ll have some comments after seeing that.

Hope this is ok.

Assuming you have the same username on TR as you do on the forums, your INSCYD report looks inconsistent with your actual power data.

They seem like they got your FTP correct, but I’ve never known someone who can do 9.5w/kg for their 1 minute power in their peak season that has a low anaerobic capacity and low VLamax.

I’m no expert in this but that clearly stood out to me also. Thought I must be reading things wrong

Especially at a max power of around 1000

I was shocked at the low vlamax, appreciate I’ve not done any top end work (or much of anything) for 5 weeks but surely it doesn’t decay that fast. There was a comment about the contribution of my anaerobic profile being small:

“Metabolic Demand and VO2:
This graph helps us to define power at VO2max. This is a key figure for maximising your VO2max training if required.
If you look at the chart at just over 300w and then see the amount of light blue shading, you can see that the anaerobic component of your profile is small. An athlete with a higher Vlamax would have significantly more light blue shading. The main use for this is picking off your power at VO2max, which is useful for intervals targeting VO2max“

I’d always figured the opposite when doing ramp tests. The well developed aerobic comments elsewhere didn’t quite ring true but as I say I just wonder if this is a result of my lack of training the last month and some quirkinesses of my physiology.

Looking into the INSCYD for some insight on how to measure VLamax and VO2Max. Have you done their power protocol like @tofel did and reported here? Seems like their modeling might be off.

Looking into some papers, it might be better to get a lactate testing for VLamax and proper VO2Max test to guide your training (which they certainly do too, just the results from power only testing are sometimes strange).

The testing I had done was lactate and power following that same testing protocol shown on the first image to the post you linked.

1 Like

My test protocol was a lactate testing procedure. This right hand side of this picture illustrates what was done:

In my case, INSCYD measured the white portion and estimates the red portion.

@Supermurph19 & @tofel thanks I somehow missed that the lactate testing was done. However, I than don’t understand how can they get the VLamax that seems so off.

I’ve read two articles yesterday. In the first one VLamax testing was done after 15 second max effort (they suggested 13 s might be even better) and a following article looked into a reliability of those test. While VO2Max test were better, even for VLamax they obtained something like ICC 0.9 (=reliability).

1 Like

+1.

Wow - somebody has spent a lot of time and effort producing software that spits out pretty reports. How much did the testing cost?

In my case they explained to me why the value of my initial test was so low. In the meantime, I gained a lot more insight of all this. I meant to compile all this info in a new thread, there was just no time yet.

When doing my testing, I think they sometimes had issues getting the blood out my ear, I wonder if the delay may have affected things. They did not say this might be the case but is has left me with a lack of confidence, or maybe not confidence but left me in a position of proceeding with my training incorrectly. (maybe the same thing)

The scientific foundation is actually very elaborate. Not only the reports are pretty. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

It is. I was surprised to see some math behind the MLSS estimation from VLamax and VO2Max. However, there is a couple of free parameters one need to set or estimate. This is the part where I would like to have a data set that INSCYD has :wink:

1 Like

I thought my VO2 might have been higher. When I had only been cycling 10 months I had some lab tests done at a well renowned local university. I had not ridden all that much at that point but my VO2 came out at 63.4 at 77.4kg. Having 7 years training under my belt and given that I was 66.8kg on the INSCYD testing it was 62.7. My powers at all key areas are up massively from that first test.

Not 100% clear how this works but it was surprising.

1 Like

Something certainly seems off. You don’t get to >500 W during a VO2max test with an absolute value of only 4.7 L/min unless you can produce lots of energy anaerobically.

I wonder if I could be cheeky and potentially get @Mikael_Eriksson to weigh in here?

Would you have an opinion on the validity of the test given what you have seen in your own testing?