I went from SS 1.9 to 8.3 with this one easy trick

those charts are doodoo
image


image

Was your trick 100rpm cadence? That would cause me to blow up :joy:

Yeah, I think OP was joking, but wow, we’ve gone in a very…different… direction.

No definitely not a joke. I wouldn’t do that for something as important as ftp. If these so called “advanced analytics” were that important then they would be in the plan. Just adding layers of complexity isn’t going to help.

Follow the plan. Ai ftp goes up. Win races.

If you’re doing 40-70 min efforts at FTP then by definition your FTP is wrong. You shouldn’t be able to do 60+ min at FTP if your FTP is correct. Therefore a re test is the correct suggestion.

Thank you.

Let’s not get pedantic. The point of the post was to highlight that doing a 70min interval at FTP (even though it is a theoretical value) suggests that his FTP is almost certainly wrong. I’d love to know how many people can hold their genuine FTP for 70min??

Not many, but we know there are some who can. Multiply the small %age of folk who can by the large number of posters in this forum and I’m sure one or two would be expected.

Edited to add:

I’m definitely not one of them.

FTP is a goofy metric. In this case, a rising tide doesn’t float all boats. There are so many assumptions built into “Just raise your FTP and everything gets easier,” it is difficult to even discuss. It’s just nonsense, and it’s not how people train at high levels. Progression level domains are a much more useful metric for how you will perform in a race.

This thread has been simultaneously painful to read but somewhat entertaining at the same time.

I agree. There are plenty of threads where people can poke fun or have a laugh but when you’re trying to make a serious point and you get a childish response.

More than happy to engage in constructive discussion. I for one have learnt a lot from this forum and Ive got plenty to learn.

Fair point about the range. If it had originally been written as 40-60 @ FTP I wouldn’t have raised my points. Rather my response was on the 60-70min part.

My understanding was that FTP is the maximum average power output over 60min. Ignoring the various ways to estimate it (ramp or 20min), I would imagine that the original posters power curve is not flat between 60 and 70min. Therefore one would assume that his 60min power will always be higher than his 70min power.

Even using a ramp or a 20min test. I would imagine it would suggest that the FTP was wrong if I could be held to 70min.

Please correct me if I am wrong on this.

Lesson learnt. I shall read up on recent literature.

Sure, if you can do 50 mins at 100%, you should also be able to do 50+ mins at 90%. Beyond that though, TTE at threshold probably doesn’t tell us too much about TTE at sweet spot or tempo. If someone wants to extend their TTE at sweet spot, they should train at sweet spot.

I’d also think that the workout in the thread (4x20, I think it’s Galena +3) is not a great TTE workout since the intervals are relatively short and have long recovery periods. Do some 2x40 or 3x30 and then start pushing longer continuous intervals (1x60, 1x80, etc).

The most important metric is place. :wink:

does winning matter? idk about that. Having a bigger ftp than your friends is paramount for your group rides.

Dunking on my friends is the foundation of my self worth.

Whereas mine is overtaking the avatar of someone from Indonesia within 10 yards of a virtual finish line to earn a bronze-coloured group of pixels.

Kill me now.

What is sport anyway? We look at these pro athletes and worship them but then tell our kids that winning doesn’t matter. We dont even want them training day in and day out like they used to create champions. Instead we cultivate a more balanced approach where they can still be kids.

If we as a society want to create a healthy space then we need to abandon this stiff competition culture of first place, and “world champions”

Interesting to watch this earlier. I’d like to find the study to read for myself. Anyone know where I might find it?

GCN say the study suggests pro cyclists can only hold their FTP for around 50min or so and weekend warriors so to speak can hold it for around 35min. I’m definitely around the 35min mark myself.