Hydration Tablet Storage on Rides?

Any ingenious solutions for storing hydration tablets on long / multi-day rides that keeps them dry and intact? Keeping them in the original tube just means they gradually turn into powder due to the constant movement, wherever on the bike I keep them. Have also tried:

  • keeping them in little ziplock bags but they seem to absorb moisture and then stick together in a big lump
  • individually wrapping them in foil in the ziplock bag - pain in the arse when you’re tired and creates rubbish

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Personally - I’d just switch to an individually packaged powder like LMNT, Liquid IV, Skratch, etc…

You could have someone 3d print a water proof tube the exact size diameter of your tablets. Stuff cotton inside to minimize rattling.

Could you stuff some paper towels or cotton balls in there to keep them pressed down?

I have no issues with my Precision tabs in a baggie and i am in the sort-of-south where the humidity in the summer is oppressive.

I store them in the tube but in my jersey, not on the bike.

This, I use Salt Stick tabs and they came with a tube the exact size of the tablet. Otherwise I have used a little snap top container that like diabetes test strips come in. I like the containers that the lid is attached to so it doesn’t fall off.

For rides with supply points that use already mixed drink, I take an old tube of the tablets and fill it almost to the top with my own drink mix and add a tablet on top. When I refill at the aid station, I add the contents of the tube to the bottle.

I barely use them preferring a carb drink instead. On really long rides I’ve placed a free sample one which is individually wrapped in my wallet as back up but I’ve not had to use many of them.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I guess I should also clarify that as a small, not-very-salty sweater, I find that a whole tablet (I use Science in Sport) is too much electrolyte for 1 drink for me, so I only use half a tablet, meaning there’s always at least one 1/2 tablet knocking around in the bag or tube. I’ll definitely try experimenting with putting some cotton wool in the tube - that might stop them disintegrating. Has anyone tried using those little silica sachets to keep things dry? Are they safe to have next to food items?

I haven’t tried it myself by some prescription pills I get have one or two silica desiccant packets in the bottle touching the pills so I assume they would be safe with hydration tablets. Just don’t eat the stuff in the pouches and you should be fine.