How to quite down my trainer

Hey guys.
I need to make my trainer quieter.
As soon as I start upping the power/cadence it gets quite a loud drone. So anything past 80% or so is pushing it noise wise and it turns out is too loud for early morning sessions (according to the wife). Which is the best time for me to train. I can’t afford to get a new wheel off trainer at the mo so am hoping for a few tricks to quite my down abit. Its a Tacx Blue matic. And I have gator skin tyres on.

Is it on a foam mat? Might help to absorb more vibrations through the frame.

I wouldn’t be surprised if a dedicated trainer tire helped with the noise.

-Do your workouts in the small ring when possible.(this won’t always be possible due to the trainer’s limitations / powerfloor)
The slower your wheel truns the less noise there should be.

-Supposedly a trainerspecific tire will also help, do some research on which are the quietest

-Use a good trainermat. Maybe even build a sort of platform set on those vibration dampeners they use under washing machines.

1 Like

Maximum trainer resistance, 120 psi in your tyre, high roller pressure against the tyre, smooth tyre texture. Keeping the wheel speed down with a smooth tyre texture is key. No need for a specific trainer tyre, I’d say.
If the roller starts clicking, drop super glue in the white dots (fill out the small gaps).

Run a load of laundry while you train to drown out the trainer noise?

Or turn up the stereo? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I have a red trainer tire that was quieter than others, but minimal noise loss compared to clipping in and changing gears.

Look at this on eBay

1. Swap out the GatorSkin for a trainer tire. Possibly consider a cheap dedicated trainer wheel, because swapping rubber every time you get on the trainer sucks.
  2. Slightly more expensive but depending on how the noise is transmitting, a trainer platform that has Green Glue in between two layers of plywood would help.
  3. Even more expensive, but if floor transmission isn’t the issue, you can build a sound cave to put over the trainer / rear wheel. This would necessarily be a bit of an experiment, but you can use a cardboard box as the ‘frame’ of it, and hang mass-loaded vinyl and acoustic panels on the inside of the frame to block and absorb sound.
1 Like

Keep doing it and leave information about a direct drive trainer laying around. Tis’ the season.

2 Likes