How to implement heat training, and how often?

Hello guys.

in four weeks im going to a gran fondo event in Alsace - where i figure the temp would rise above 30-35c - so being from a colder envirement i think i need to implement some heat training.

I would be pleased to have any suggestions on how to proceed ? Should i only do it on my z2 rides, how long? and how often will i need to do it pr. week to gain from it? Ive read that 90 minutes with 50% of vo2 would give some effect, but it doesnt say how often i need to do it and for how long to get gains.

Hope you have some suggestions :slight_smile:

Sincerly

Use the search function at the top of the page, heat training has been addressed on the forum and podcasts several times. See below and many others:

1 Like

Either the podcasts nor the topics says anything about how many days and how to implement them in the training schedule :frowning:

Maybe not those that I posted, but I know they have. They had a podcast with an expert breaking it all down. Use the search function, there’s no way you combed through all the information already. If I remember it’s 2-3 weeks out of 3-4 days of week on z2 days. The longer out you start the less frequently you need to do heat training per week.

If you are in a cold climate how will you add heat training?

1 Like

I’ve done it for 2 races. It’s pretty simple.

Your first time you’ll feel like your going to pass out. So just ride the trainer with no fan and a jacket on… ride easy. Lots of towels. You’ll eventually get to the point where you need to take the jacket off.

It’s that easy. I did 3or 4 sessions before Kona and like 2 sessions in 10 days just last week.

Don’t use a space heater. The moving air just cools you down.

2 Likes

Both sessions. You improve very quickly

Edit:
Oh and they are QUITE exhausting, so use them sparingly. You’ll feel drained during the rest of the day. You don’t need very many sessions to see benefits.

1 Like

The video @mcneese.chad shared, goes pretty in depth on how to implement Heat Training :slight_smile:

In short, per the USA Cycling Coaching Manual, acclimatization to a hot environment is most significant within the first 14 days of exposure, comprising approximately 95% of the process. The acclimatization involves daily heat exposure, starting with low-intensity exercise and gradually increasing the duration. The objective is to induce a high sweat rate, which leads to increased sweating capacity and a more diluted sodium concentration in the sweat after about ten days. Heat-acclimatized individuals can exercise at a lower core temperature compared to those who are not acclimatized, allowing for better blood flow to the core and muscles.

For athletes like yourself who cannot train in a naturally hot or humid environment, there are two strategies to simulate such conditions. First, they can train indoors on a trainer with minimal airflow, preferably in a warm room. This method can be highly effective. Alternatively, athletes can train outside while wearing extra layers of breathable clothing, such as a long sleeve jersey or a light jacket made of breathable material. These strategies aim to replicate the challenges of a hot or humid environment during training or preparation for early season races or training camps.

3 Likes

Great summary!

Just one typo to edit:

• should be “Manual”
1 Like

I posted this in another thread

Look at table 2. It summarizes all the different protocols.

I’ve posted screenshots of a couple protocols here:

For example 100min at 38C for 10-14 days at 40-50% vo2max (super easy spinning). It gets 32-36C here in the afternoon and I’ll go out and ride super easy for 120 minutes. Doesn’t take long to see initial results.

1 Like

Thanks @mcneese.chad !

1 Like

Outlined is the protocol Tim Cusick used with his olympic athletes