How often do you change bar tape?

Just curious. It probably depends on the bike and usage.

• Every 1-3 months
  • Every season
  • Every year or so
  • When it starts to look bad
  • I usually buy a new bike
  • It depends / other
0 voters

You need a “After I crash” option… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

when it becomes slippery, loses some of its cushioning or adhesiveness or just looks damaged. I have changed from expensive lizard skins to cheap BBB tape so I can afford to change more often (although the BBB tape seems to last much longer than lizard skin)

1 Like

Mostly when it starts to look bad or when I have to recable outers.

2 Likes

Usually every time i make full maintentance at my bike shop, so approx every 6 months (5000km more or less) if nothing happen.
Sometimes it really needs to be changed, sometimes no.
But I have a black matt bike, so I like to play with the colors of it.

1 Like

When it has more than 2 layers of duct tape or electrical tape already on it.

5 Likes

I have a white bike with orange and black accents. Anytime I feel that need to upgrade in bikes, I take a deep breath and go crazy with bar tape. It changes the look of the bike and much less expensive.

2 Likes

Stages of bar tape grief:

• Denial. This stuff is fine. It’s only worn out around the hoods.
  • Bargaining. I’ll just supplement this stuff with some electrical tape here and there, Even wrap it so it matches the seam of the actual bar tape :+1:
  • Acceptance. This electrical tape crap is kind of slippery, especially when all sweated up. Probably not even all that safe either. Time to start looking for a good sale on some good stuff again.
3 Likes

I change mine daily. Underwear, I can flip inside out. Bar tape doesn’t work that way.

1 Like

This is exactly what I thought when I read the thread title lol!

1 Like

Clearly not often enough. I used to do it whenever I replaced shifter cables (maybe a couple times a year). But after switching to electronic shifting many years ago, the interval between new bar tape is longer. These days, It gets replaced whenever I tear down the bike for overhaul/check or when it’s no longer grippy. I find that well-worn supercaz still performs pretty well, it just looks like crap once the outer layer wears off.

1 Like

I am at that stage - that‘s why I asked. :joy:

1 Like

If you are a salty, heavy sweater like me you will get buildup under the tape, so it’s worth changing the tape every year just to clean everything. I’ve got aluminum bars with surface pitting from going two years without a change.

2 Likes

I’m using some super cheap bar tape that seems to last forever. You can’t take it off without destroying it, so I usually change the right side about once a year when I change the shifter cable (and outer). Haven’t changed the left side in years I think, it still looks the same as the new right side. (Maybe a little muddy, because its on my cross bike - but the right side will look like that after a week too).

1 Like

Where is the “Oh, I like that color” button?

2 Likes

I dont seem to change my tape very often at all - I would say I ride 70% on the hoods (actually on them), 20% in the drops and maybe a remaining 10% on the tops?

I really do not come in contact with my bar tape much :person_shrugging:

If you frequently are changing tape because it is getting dedtroyed from over-use, your bike doesn’t fit you.

1 Like