How are you storing your wheels?

So the bike is on the trainer most of the time, my rear wheel I just prop up against the wall, but thinking there is probably a better way to store it. Last thing I would want is to have it get damaged in any way. What is you best practices?

I’ve always just propped my extra wheels up against the wall. I’ve never had any problems with that.

I’ve smashed into curbs at over 30 mph in crits, without damage to the wheels. I’m sure that leaning against your wall will probably work out just fine. If overly worried, stick them in a wheel bag.

2 Likes

I store my wheels hanging up in a cheap wheel bag. Off the floor and out of the way.

I have a line of cheap bike hooks in a 2x4 mounted to the ceiling and just hang them. The 2x4 lets me move hooks around without tearing up the ceiling.

2 Likes

I put my spare wheels in wheel bags and then hang on the wall, been doing this for years and never damaged one yet, also keeps the dust off!

I bought one of these for hanging the wheels safely away in the garage. Very easy to install, easy to access the wheels and looks pretty nice I think.

https://www.etrailer.com/Bike-Storage/Gear-Up/GU33022.html

3 Likes

Off-topic – what size is your ultrasonic cleaner?

@dprimm Definitely off-topic, but it’s a good one. I created a new thread just on ultrasonic cleaners here Ultrasonic cleaning, but short answer is that’s a 3L unit.

This is what I do with mine. Steel rod into the stud and right through the center.

1 Like

Resurrecting this thread. Total first world problem but I have five wheels to store (two complete wheel sets plus the rear wheel when the bike is on the trainer) but limited space. Right now they’re hanging from ropes along a flat wall in the back of the storage closet / pain cave. This setup worked fine for three wheels but now seems a bit of a faff for five. Looking for ideas. Thanks!!

I have a wall mounted wheel/tire rack for my autocross (car) wheels with extra space on it, so my spare wheels go there. Not sure they make small enough ones that it would be worth it to hold 4-5 bike wheels.

I would think a pegboard would give you plenty of good options.

1 Like

Two options I use:

I use this to hang my extra bikes, but you could use it to store wheels, and you can buy extra hooks (since you need less space for wheels than bikes). The mounting system is adjustable, so you can ensure it’s put into studs.

I bought a couple of these because I didn’t have the space for another Teal Triangle. Solid construction. You can add on the mounting piece for minimal cost if you add it to the cart when you buy the Wheel Tree.

I also use up.bike for my ski storage:

2 Likes

Harbor freight hose holder, 1.99 not on sale.

3 Likes

That’s slick!

I use this. Nice to get the wheels off the ground and out of the way

1 Like