How are people getting 100g+ carbs in a bottle?

Giant Strawbs are 82g carbs/100g. They are slightly too chewy, but still good. The most carbs I’ve found are jelly beans with 89g/100g. I don’t actually eat most gummy bears because they usually have gelantine and I’m a veggie, but I also find them a bit too small and too hard to eat quickly. Current favourite are “Harry Hippos”, 86g carbs/100g, easy to eat, and come in 200g bags for just over £1. So much for my very sophisticated fuelling strategy! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

My personal favorite are fruit snacks which have just the right amount of chew and come in convenient snack sized packs or swedish fish, both which use pectin/cornstarch/wax instead of gelatin

2 Likes

I’ve been having good results with Vitargo.

Sweet spot and above I do 70% carbs from Vitargo, 30% from Maltodextrin.

Endurance rides I so 50/50

Here’s how I get my carbs in a bottle:

4 Likes

After reading through these threads for the last several months I have been experimenting with bottles. I have tried the Gatorade (for flavor), sugar and salt combo described by Dr. Alex and found it a bit sweet. I was able to stomach it, but it was not “refreshing”. Lately I have been doing approx 1/3 Gatorade/sugar/ malto w/ 1/2 teaspoon table salt. I found this works for me and is a bit more appealing. What do you think the ratio is?

I’m not racing so not necessarily looking for optimal, just good enough. Now that I’m putting 90g in a bottle I do notice a positive difference at the end of the ride (typically 2.5-3hours). Before I just dumped a scoop or two of Gatorade/malto and was on my way.

Also, funny enough to an earlier post of Dr. Alex, I notice once I put over 95-ish g in my bottle I start to get stomach issues. So if I wanted to go more, I definitely need a bigger bottle to increase the water/ carb ratio.

2 Likes

It is between 2:1 and 1.5:1. I would bet closer to 2:1 based on Gatorade’s marketing history.

You’re there.

1 Like

This has pretty much been my experience with gatorade + sucrose. I can drink it as ‘fuel’, but it is too sweet. I did a ride when camping in Yosemite in 100 degree weather with no ice for the water, and drinking this stuff warm was definitely not ‘refreshing’ :slight_smile: I still drank it, and I think it fueled me well for the ride. I find that this mix is working well for me - only downside is not great taste with all the sweetness. Luckily for now my cheapness is outweighing my desire for better flavor :rofl:

3 Likes

Does anyone have an issue of doing this and being hungry on the bike (liquid only)? I have done the Gatorade + maltodextrin and Gatorade + table sugar up to 110g carbs per hour and still get hungry compared to when I eat 50-60g carbs and about 100 less calories per hour of solid food I dont feel hungry throughout my long rides

Hunger has totally disappeared for me since switching to liquid feeding and higher g/hr.

3 Likes

It seems I can tolerate higher Carbs on the trainer but when in a race situation I get a fair amount of stomach bloat. Anyone else experience this?

I made my own 2:1 maltodextrin:fructose mix for about a year before stumbling across Last Mile Endurance products. I still mix my own a lot of the time, but at $2.50 for a 90g 2:1 dose of carbs (malto:fructose) the convenience is getting the better of my stinginess more frequently. It seems like they’ve found a spec of maltodextrin that dissolves pretty easily in cold tap water too. I used it in a 4.5 hour MTB race, taking in 90g per hour for the first 4 hours.

@velocoach It’s interesting you say that, because when I’ve done multi-hour events, even taking in 90g per hour, I do feel a little hungry, but even at the end I’m never feeling compelled to smash through any food I can get my hands on. The best description I have for how I’m feeling is that it’s like my stomach wants something solid, because it hasn’t had solid foods for hours, but I’m not feeling like I need food because I’m energy-deficient (hopefully that makes sense, I struggle to put my finger on how I’m feeling in the moment, or in hindsight).

1 Like

Yes. If hungry, increase to 120-150g/hr. Hunger will go away and performance will likely improve. Especially if you’re a sprinter.

1 Like

Yes. Stochastic nature of racing is harder on GI, than more steady state trainer work, or even interval trainer work. The more NP varies from AP, the more you can expect your GI to be easily unsettled.

4 Likes

Made up a 1200cal bottle for my trainer rride this morning. 50:50 malto:fru sodium citrate and citric acid. Was able to finish it in 2:15

2 Likes

Solid!

1 Like

I typically like sports drinks with a little flavoring. What are people adding when they are making their own?

1 Like

A little powdered gatorade

2 Likes

Bulk Powders or My Protein flavour drops.

1 Like

I apologize if this was covered above, I looked for a while and didn’t see my question answered.

If you’re going for 1:1, why do glu + fru instead of good old sucrose? Is it a problem to cleave the disaccharide? Just seems cheaper, simpler and cleaner to fuel with organic cane sugar.

Thanks!

I’ve been using pineapple juice, maltodextrin and sea salt - is this less than optimal because it seems to work for me!

450ml of pineapple juice gives ~50g fructose
50g of maltodextrin gets that up to 100g of carbohydrates.
A bit if salt to replenish sodium and I’m away.

Any downsides to this that anyone can see?

*I also substitute in apple and mango juice or occasionally orange juice when I get pineapple fatigue…