High Volume SSB Feedback

Hi everyone,

I am new to trainerroad. I recently finished 100% of SSB HV 1 and took my ramp test to kickstart my SSB HV 2. My ftp increased by 6% from 191 to 203 after 6 weeks. I completed the 35/36 workouts (missed one in the week6). My weight(64kg) was similar at the before and after the plan. Stress level is good as well.

Was wondering if the slight improvement is normal or should I be expecting high numbers since my number arent high to begin with.

Well I did the full (general) build phase, and part of speciality (didn’t finish it as I was well and truly sick of being indoors, if the weather is nice I will not train indoors), adding + versions of the mid volume scheduled workouts. This created a mid/high volume hybrid that I’m not entirely sure was effective in some respects.

The results of the training have been a bit strange to be honest. My FTP has stagnated, it went up to 305w and I seem to hover around 300w. Last year’s (completed in full) high volume training got me to 301w.

So in terms of FTP I’d say that my entire winter’s training has been maintenance. Which I cannot deny is slightly disappointing. HOWEVER, there is a large caveat to that initial statement. My short power is up by a substantial margin. Sprintability has hugely increased and when I look at my power curve now, up to 3 minutes, all personal records have been set in 2020. Even manage to chuck out 1600w for a second or 2 which at my 151lbs is quite pleasing as I really am not built like a sprinter!

So, not all bad news but I do question what I shall do this coming winter. Clearly a hybrid plan hasn’t done a great deal for me in terms of all round ability. High Volume seems like the only way forward, unfortunately. Just wish it wasn’t so soul destroying to complete.

1 Like

Thank you for the update.

My first ramp test before starting SSB HV2 was 213 watt with final I minute 284watt weight 59kg = 3.6w/kg.

I finished 100% SSB HV2 with a slight deviation. The changes are:

• Last workout on week 5 which is tallac +4 tss 145 if 0.85 substitute with zwift group ride with 214 tss if 0.77
  • Last recovery week 6 Boarstone TSS97 if 0.70 substitute with zwift group ride TSS141 IF 0.75

Week 1 TSS= 593/596, Week 2 TSS = 678/663, Week 3 TSS =684/685, Week 4 TSS = 743/713, Week 5 TSS= 816/731, Week 6 TSS = 492/390

My second ramp test after TR give 213 watt with final 1 minute 285 watt same weight 59kg so in theory 285 x.75 = 213.75 there is 0.75watt increase J.

I have an event riding 300km with 2560m elevation in 11 October and I want to see an ftp gain should I move to sustained power build high volume or should I do another Sweet spot base high volume 2?

6% in six weeks isn’t “slight”. That’s a pretty big gain, man. Nice work.

I think the best way is to use the plan builder and entry your event in 11 october so u can be training and tapering optimally for that. Likely it will recommend you sustained power high volume as it place more emphasis on developing greater sustained power through the use of strength endurance work, lactate tolerance workouts & a healthy dose of maximum aerobic power intervals.

1 Like

Agree 6% increase is huge. i wish i can gain that much. kudos for your gain [chinloongtay](

Thanks for the advise will try the plan builder. hopefully the plan builder is smart enough to know/calculate that i had done the 5 weeks SSB HV 2

When I last tried it wasn’t there yet. If this is still the case, select start date in past that offsets your completed base phase duration. This way plan builder keeps your completed workouts and adds new workouts for future with proper phases progression.

1 Like