Hiding Weight on TR (Feature Request)

I’ve actually struggled with this more so than FTP obsession. Currently I have it set to 500 lbs and it’s helped me tremendously. I made it an obvious outlier so it doesn’t mess up their aggregate data too much. I love not having it stare me in the face every time I sign on.

“But Tim, how do you know your watts per kg?”, you ask. When I really want to know (rarely), my special phone call device has a calculator.

2 Likes

I am disabled and use TrainerRoad because riding hard outside is not an option for me. I can’t race, but I seek a high level of fitness within my limitations. My point is, there are people like me out there using structured training to meet their own specific needs, not just competitive athletes.
Motivation is a tricky and delicate thing that takes a surprising amount of care, especially when coming from a deficit. It’s not always logical, either.

Plus one for this request. While I don’t mind having my weight prominently displayed when I log in, I know a number of people for whom it’s a deal breaker due to past struggles.

2 Likes

Thanks for that insight, it’s really interesting to understand other people’s opinions. I wasn’t suggesting that only competitive athletes would use TR. Just that I found it interesting that ANYONE interested in using TR (because it offers such in depth and useful performance analytics) would want to hide certain things from themselves. My experience of self improvement has always been holding myself accountable and using my weaknesses and failures to fuel my motivation. I appreciate your point about it not being logical though, that’s a brave thing to say and I really respect that. Mental health sure is a tricky subject!

2 Likes

Based on Episode 202, related to the “How to manage weight during a taper” question:

• And in particular, the comments from the guys on how they don’t watch weight as much when they are in taper and get closer to goal events, I think this feature request is reaffirmed from another perspective.

The ability to choose when to display the weight, and likely even Power/Weight (FTP Watts/Kilogram), seems like a necessary control for each user.

They have even alluded to a pending podcast related to eating disorders in cycling (with a pro added to the discussion). So I think they can and should be sensitive to the weight related issues within the app and service overall.

3 Likes