Help Me Understand - Workouts Too Hard

Why not substitute the longer zone 2 ride for North Pack? I keep beating this drum, but if there’s too much intensity, going longer and easier with that “Sunday ride” is just what the doctor ordered. Check the week notes and it recommends which one to do. Some folks even alternate weeks, doing the 2hr Sweet Spot workout one week, then the long zone 2 endurance effort the next, or based on time available and how they feel.

For me, doing the long Z2 work has been a game changer. While in the past, I’ve completed my usual Base-Build-Base-Build-Specialty cycle doing the long sweet spot stuff as designed, this spring I swapped to doing the long zone 2 stuff instead. I feel much fresher during the week for the three workouts that really matter, and I’m upping my aerobic base without trashing my legs, and I’ve even managed to drop a pound or two. I’ve had a pretty tremendous breakthrough this spring with just that change from the normal TR layout.

4 Likes

How did it go?

Where did you read that? The guys talk a lot about lowering the intensity of a workout if you need to. Consistency and finishing workouts even if not 100% is better in the long run then anything else.

Some workouts are harder than others and the intensity needs to be lowered or sometimes increased. Also workouts with a higher FTP are going to feel harder, that’s part of the process and what makes you stronger. If it’s really too hard lower your FTP a few watts and do the workouts at that level.

Keep at it and don’t get discouraged!

2 Likes

If you feel you can’t quite finish an interval, you can take a quick backspin and then resume … else if you’ve further to go in the workout, dial back the intensity. But if you consistently have to do that, your FTP may be too high.

1 Like

This refers to VO2max workouts I believe. Turning them to below about 108% of correct ftp is no longer VO2max (even that is debatable). Doesn’t apply to sst though really.

1 Like

Absolutely, I’ve had great results with this approach as well. Additionally, If you’re the kind of person who gets stressed about hitting their targets perfectly (guilty), it can be a really great opportunity to relax and enjoy yourself- which can be a lot more mentally sustainable than holding yourself to a super high standard for every ride!

I think motivation can significantly impact v02 workouts in particular- it’s pretty high-end discomfort, and any reduction in RPE goes a long way.

FWIW training just sucks sometimes. It’s meant to be hard, and you’re meant to struggle from time to time. You have to push your current capabilities to exceed them, and that’s going to involve some ‘failures’ and adjustments along the way- but that’s still productive. If you look at the trajectory of your performance over time, you’ve improved- and that’s what we’re all aiming for. Regardless of the outcome of individual workouts, you’re still succeeding in the grand scheme of things :wink:

Sure. But what if the FTP is incorrect and too high to begin with?

I was thinking maybe he adjust his FTP down a little and continue the plan with the newly adjusted FTP. It’ll still be VO2 according to the new numbers.

“Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right.” Henry Ford

Many of us fail to grasp just how powerful self talk is. We all deal with negative inputs from the brain trying to convince us to stop the pain. None of us are 100% successful in countering those negative inputs, but we can get better at it. When the brain is sending those negative inputs telling us we can’t do it, simply change the focus to a shorter goal. “Maybe I can’t complete this interval, but I can go another 20 seconds.” In 20 seconds, create another short term goal, like maybe 15 more seconds. You’ll be surprised at just how effective this approach can be at getting the most out of yourself.

1 Like

Again thanks for all the feedback… Well I took a few days off the bike enjoyed 40 miles (over two days) of riding with my daughter, she’s 8, and took all the advice into account. I didn’t get the workouts in, but decided with pretty much my gravel racing all but canceled that I would focus on some weight loss and start a new HV plan to work on my base. After those two days I retested my FTP again and I think it was a mental fatigue issue before. From my prior 5 weeks ago to today I went up to 262 which was a 5% increase… I know it will now be even harder but a small mental break and knowing I should have been more focused on base coming back from a shattered leg versus FTP and gravel racing, I have a better idea of where I am going …