Hello new to TR - how to get more data on workout screen

This is being fixed right now. I’m scheduling calendar rides on my Mac TR app and all that jazz. We hope to get it out as quickly as possible. It will be a huge upgrade for desktop users.

6 Likes

I am new to TrainerRoad as a paid subscriber, but I’ve watched hours and endless hours of their videos on YouTube. One thing is for sure, they favor giving the user control of their own training schedule. Yes they provide predetermed workout plans but you can modify as seen fit or needed. That is why I wish they allowed the user to select which metrics they choose to see during the workouts. I have friends that love Zwift. I cancelled my subscription because all I want to see is the metrics and could care less about some silly avatar. To each his own. I want to see IF and I want to see % of FTP for each interval. I trained with a coach previously and every metric known was on the screen, and that’s what I would like to see on TrainerRoad. Some like long walks on the beach. I prefer to be landlocked with snow-capped mountains. Ride on.

I also use PerfPro for training, and I can tell you that the “extraneous” data that it displays VERY MUCH factors into my training. What really gets on my nerves is to hear some of the pompous, condescending remarks from some of the people on here. You give cyclists a bad name.

PerfPro allows me to see my HR and zone distribution, it shows me average/current/max HR and power, it can show me power from my power meter versus power from my trainer, and it can show me L/R balance.

A good number of my workouts are based on number of minutes/%of time in a particular zone, and I like to be able to see that on my display. PerfPro breaks down each pace/HR zone and shows you % of time and duration in that particular zone. PerfPro provides a wealth of useful information…and there is no monthly subscription cost: one time purchase of $100 and that’s it. It has formatted workouts, training plans, and connects to all the major third party sites. It also has running workouts as well.

Obviously, all of this “useless” data isn’t contained on one screen. You have the ability to click/scroll through what you want to see.

I understand if TR is trying to be minimalist in their software, but I really don’t appreciate when people who purport to know what’s best for the unwashed masses, condescend and talk down to us “yokels” as if we somehow what we’re talking about. or what we’re requesting is complete bollocks. Kind of elitist snobbery if you ask me.

I like TR, don’t get me wrong. What I don’t dig is the tone some of TR’s supporters take with other people who have valid requests and feedback.

Take it for what it’s worth.

1 Like

I’m not saying that anyone who disagrees with me is a bad person. What I am saying is that certain people take a very holier-than-thou tone when “cycle-splaining” why certain metrics are either pointless/useless or they are already there in some fashion or another, and some people just can’t see why someone might want something different or have an actual need for something that TR doesn’t offer.

Just because someone wants something you don’t think is useful, doesn’t make it useless.

Not really sure why you’d want to see all that during a session to be honest. I tend to look at the workout beforehand so I know what kind of power will be required. All I need to do is hit those power numbers. Simple. I can look at all the other stuff later when my brain is functioning a little better!

1 Like

I also think part of it is whether that information should be available during a workout or during post analysis for future planning, trend spotting, etc. I’m not sure there’s any additional information I would want displayed during a workout than what TR currently shows. But I also think there’s some cool and useful things that Golden Cheetah, intervals.icu, etc. shows in post such as TIZ for the week.

1 Like

I thought the pc app offers access to the same expanded info (NP, avg. power, total kj, tss) if you hit the three little lines at the bottom of the informational section during the workout. I think all of that info then appears as an extra line of data. At least this is the way it works for me.

It does now (since they released the updated desktop app), but did not at the time of my post.

Oops, look at me not checking dates!

1 Like

@ansnonee - I also used PerfPro where I trained. That will provide the data I am looking for. Thanks for the heads up.

1 Like

By the 5th minute of an interval at 105% FTP, the least i care is what data shows on my iPad screen.

3 Likes